Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #201
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm still waiting to taste the second of my last two batches, which were brewed with the Williams system. The great thing about the Williams wand is it's low maintenance. Just throw it in the last 15 minutes of the boil along with the chiller, it stays in there during chilling, then transfer, hook up the line, an oxygenate. Then rinse, store until next time, repeat.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #202
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't gotten around to drinking any of the beers I've used my O2 system on yet. I've got one chest freezer that has to act as fermentation chamber and serving kegerator, so I typically brew a bunch of beer to fill it and then crank the temp down to serving.

However, I did get my hands on a dissolved O2 meter.

Today I brewed a BoPils. Gravity after boil was 1.056. I knocked out 5.5g into two carboys. Both carboys got 120s of O2 followed by about 20 seconds of shaking. Again, I'm not sure what micron stone I've got. I opened the regulator on the disposable O2 tank all the way. Both carboys ended up with 1-1.5" of foam on top after the O2. Then, before I pitched yeast, I siphoned out some of the oxygenated wort and filled two 12oz bottles all the way, then capped them. That way the only O2 in the bottle should be what was dissolved in the wort, not what was in the headspace of the bottle.

Again, 5.5g of 1.056 wort, at 52F, that had been hit with 120 seconds of O2 and about 20s of shaking. The dissolved O2 came out to 15ppm for both bottles.

I had been doing either 60s or 90s of O2 for my ales, depending on gravity, and decided to go to 120s for lagers.

I plan on doing this again in the future to see if its consistent, but hopefully that starts getting some concrete data for this thread.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #203
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse View Post
I plan on doing this again in the future to see if its consistent, but hopefully that starts getting some concrete data for this thread.
What question are you trying to answer?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #204
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill

What question are you trying to answer?
"How much dissolved O2 results from oxygenating with a fully open regulator (presumably the one widely available at homebrew shops) for a given amount of time?"

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the tolerances for manufacturing these things, so other regulators, even if the same kind made in the same facility, might be quite different.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #205
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse
I haven't gotten around to drinking any of the beers I've used my O2 system on yet. I've got one chest freezer that has to act as fermentation chamber and serving kegerator, so I typically brew a bunch of beer to fill it and then crank the temp down to serving.

However, I did get my hands on a dissolved O2 meter.

Today I brewed a BoPils. Gravity after boil was 1.056. I knocked out 5.5g into two carboys. Both carboys got 120s of O2 followed by about 20 seconds of shaking. Again, I'm not sure what micron stone I've got. I opened the regulator on the disposable O2 tank all the way. Both carboys ended up with 1-1.5" of foam on top after the O2. Then, before I pitched yeast, I siphoned out some of the oxygenated wort and filled two 12oz bottles all the way, then capped them. That way the only O2 in the bottle should be what was dissolved in the wort, not what was in the headspace of the bottle.

Again, 5.5g of 1.056 wort, at 52F, that had been hit with 120 seconds of O2 and about 20s of shaking. The dissolved O2 came out to 15ppm for both bottles.

I had been doing either 60s or 90s of O2 for my ales, depending on gravity, and decided to go to 120s for lagers.

Where did you get the O2 stone from?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #206
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
"How much dissolved O2 results from oxygenating with a fully open regulator (presumably the one widely available at homebrew shops) for a given amount of time?"

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the tolerances for manufacturing these things, so other regulators, even if the same kind made in the same facility, might be quite different.
Got it. The other unknown is how precise the oxygen meter is; a reading of 15ppm +/- 0.1ppm and a reading of 15ppm +/-5ppm could mean two different things in this sort of experiment...

Old 07-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #207
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Where did you get the O2 stone from?
It was a gift, and my gf could not remember where she bought it. Definitely not the Williams kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Got it. The other unknown is how precise the oxygen meter is; a reading of 15ppm +/- 0.1ppm and a reading of 15ppm +/-5ppm could mean two different things in this sort of experiment...
Its an Orbisphere 3650 and the range is .1ppb-20ppm, so I'm assuming the ppm reading is pretty much spot-on.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #208
Bones1948
Recipes 

Default O2

How about an experimental approach using a set amount of oxygen per minute (Liters/min) delivered into a liquid through a standard fish aquarium stone into tap water (which probably has zero parts per million of O2) maybe Coca Cola (likewise zero oxygen) and maybe a clear beef broth (zero O2) to see if the oxygenation of the various medias are uniform thru varying times (60, 90, 120, 140 etc. seconds) of running the set amt. O2 into them). Also the oxygen levels with just shaking before infusion with oxygen.

Also, in your next batch measure O2 levels at shaking only, then 60, 90, 120 etc. second increments to compare to the other liquids.

Looking forward to the data.

Happy 4th to all.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #209
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've been searching the web for the past couple of days without any real luck, so I thought I'd post the question in this thread...

How do you convert PSI to L/minute for gas? I'll be using my 10# O2 tank, with dual stage regulator, and airstone (from Williams Brewing, on the wand) to oxygenate the wort for future batches. I can dial in the PSI, but I'm trying to figure out what the L/minute flow rate would be at PSI numbers. The dial does have kPa numbers on it too, if that helps. I just want a way to see how much gas is going into the wort, in order to hit the target concentration.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #210
SirBC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I've been searching the web for the past couple of days without any real luck, so I thought I'd post the question in this thread...

How do you convert PSI to L/minute for gas? I'll be using my 10# O2 tank, with dual stage regulator, and airstone (from Williams Brewing, on the wand) to oxygenate the wort for future batches. I can dial in the PSI, but I'm trying to figure out what the L/minute flow rate would be at PSI numbers. The dial does have kPa numbers on it too, if that helps. I just want a way to see how much gas is going into the wort, in order to hit the target concentration.
I don't think you can, at least not with any degree of precision. From the BYO article on using O2 to oxygenate:

Quote:
Some brewers attempt to replace a gas flow meter with a gas pressure gauge. Without getting into details, I do not recommend using pressure as an indication of flow because it simply does not work well. Unless you know that 10 psi gas pressure delivered to your stone gives some known flow rate you are guessing. The bottom line is that to use oxygen for brewing you really should have a flow meter.
I use the red O2 tanks, Williams Brewing stone and regulator, with this $45 low flow rotometer by Dakota:

Quick Reply