The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #121
bctdi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So on the one hand we have Chris White of White labs and Jamil Z who both basically eat sleep and breath yeast who say 8 ppm of O2 isn't optimum for yeast health and on the other side we have some home brewers who say my beer is fine with shaking.....Tough one , but I'm going with Chris White on this one....I bought the kit las week.

This was great info and pushed me over the edge to go ahead and spend a few bucks on this. Besides , the stone / wand are a 1 time expenditure and the o2 costs like 33 pennies per batch , so why the hell not?
This would be a good sticky.Can we stick this thread?Lots of good info in here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #122
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadieux View Post
I made the same recipe (oatmeal stout) with and without oxygen.

Day and night result.

Took less time to ferment, reached FG and much better taste. Drier and more grain flavor coming through.
Thanks for sharing your findings. This is exactly what I was looking for. I also felt like the results were day and night, but it is nice to hear someone put a batch head to head and confirmed my thoughts.

Joe

Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #123
scadieux
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fact is beer is fine with shaking... I was making my oatmeal stout without oxygen and I thought it was good. It is just *better* with oxygen...

Oxygen is like you don't know what you've been missing until you try it.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #124
TTB-J
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

All I'm saying is that you guys just aren't shaking hard and long enough. When I'm done shaking my carboy, it's nothing but a pile of glass and fear. I have caused foundation problems in my house I have shaken that thing so hard. The carboy is just a shadow of its former self now, I have shaken all that is good and noble out of it. Until they make an oxygen tank that will put the fear of God in my carboy, then I'm sticking with shaking.

But that's just anecdotal so YMMV.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #125
simtel20
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB-J
All I'm saying is that you guys just aren't shaking hard and long enough. When I'm done shaking my carboy, it's nothing but a pile of glass and fear. I have caused foundation problems in my house I have shaken that thing so hard. The carboy is just a shadow of its former self now, I have shaken all that is good and noble out of it. Until they make an oxygen tank that will put the fear of God in my carboy, then I'm sticking with shaking.

But that's just anecdotal so YMMV.
Your carboy shaker was made by nicola tesla, then?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #126
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just finished knocking out 11g of an all-Chinook Amber. Knocked out 5.5g of 1.052 wort into two carboys. One carboy got my usual aeration treatment, which is 60s of a mix stir driven by a drill. 20s one way, 20s the other way, and then 20s back the first direction. I always get a good vortex and tons of splashing, leaving a bunch of foam on top when I'm done. The other carboy got 60s of pure O2, courtesy of my little set up with 1.4oz O2 tank and regulator.

There's a bit of a learning curve to the O2 set up. First, I don't know what type of stone I've got on there, since my girlfriend bought it as a gift and can't remember where. So it could be a 2 micron, it could be a .5 micron. Those seem like the two most common sizes. Second, it came with a regulator with a barbed output, over which was a really small diameter hose, which was then hand-fit into a hose with an ID the same as the OD of the small hose, which then went through what I assume is a sanitary air filter and down to the stone. Of course, when I started to hit the carboy with O2, I felt/heard it leaking, and traced the leak to where the hose off the barb was hand fit into the larger hose. I tried pinching it off as best as I could, but clearly all the O2 leaving the tank didn't make it to the stone. I'll have to get a clamp or something on there to make a real, secure fitting between the hoses.

At the end of the day, the mix-stir carboy had a bunch more foam on it than the O2. But hopefully what O2 foam there was was 100% O2, so it doesn't need as much.

Both carboys got pitched at 1:30 central with a bit under 1.5L of an intermittent-shaking starter of WY1026, British Cask Ale. They're sitting in a controlled chest freezer with a sp of 67 and diff of 1. I'll keep an eye on how they do and let everyone know the progress.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #127
Steve973
Recipes 

+1 on pure oxygenation. I use an inline oxygenator, and its positive effects are undeniable. If you don't want to oxygenate, then don't; home brewing means making your own beer your own way. You will not hurt my feelings either way, I promise.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #128
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What is an inline oxygenator? Where do you get one?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #129
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

So my oxygenation kit arrived last week as well. Do you guys sanitize the inside of the gas line (from the regulator to the stone) or just the stone and outside of the tubing?

It would seem a real hassle to sanitize the inside part of the tubing, and part of me is hoping nothing nasty would go through the stone, either due to size or the O2 concentration inside the line. But I'll admit, I don't really know what could and couldn't live in a pure O2 environment for how long. Any takers?

Also, I may be trying a split batch sometime soon as well, if I can find the time and carboy space. I'll post back here with any differences.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #130
scadieux
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nothing survives in pure O2. I only sanitize the exterior tubing + stone (put in boiling water for 5 min).

Quick Reply