Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #111
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Chris White explains that the only time you should be oxygenating is before pitching, except in the case of extremely high-gravity beers. In these particular exceptions, I believe he states that another dose of oxygen may be given 12-18 hours after pitching, though I admittedly don't recall his precise reason(s) why. I should be able to check my copy of Yeast tomorrow
Right. In particularly big beer, yeast seem to benefit from another dose of oxygen after they have used what was originally in the wort during reproduction. That is, you're giving them more of what they need, when they need it, instead of (for example) trying to put it all in in one massive dose of 30ppm or whatever at the beginning. At any rate, that's from my recollection of the book. I'll have to reread that section to get all of the details again, but I think that's the gist of it.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #112
SwampassJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Without making any comments on the validity of anyone's arguments here... This is possibly the most contradictory single sentence I've read here.
Wait you mean to say he registered only to troll and bring about arguments? Say it isn't so. I love how every time someone in this forum has a disagreement with someone else's experiment they demand a 2nd experiment to prove it's not a fluke but refuse to do it themselves. Instead we get a 20051512 page secondary vs primary chest thumping thread about who can primary for 3 months without needing the carboy/bucket back.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #113
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ

Wait you mean to say he registered only to troll and bring about arguments? Say it isn't so.
For seriously! What have the internets come to these days!?! ;-)

Fake it til you make it.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #114
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I might have fed the troll with a couple novels, but I'm pretty sure I had already buried in there somewhere a slight accusation of such, not only because (s)he had ONLY ever posted in this thread, but also because I simply had a hard time believing somebody could be so vapid, resistant to logic, and unable to follow even THEIR OWN argument (let alone other people's), and yet somehow still manage to use a computer, write in a linguistically adequate fashion - even if not at all a logically adequate one, and somehow actually even remember to breathe without constantly being reminded to do so (which YOU now suddenly find yourself oddly unable to manage...) Breathe in... Breathe out.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #115
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
I might have fed the troll with a couple novels, but I'm pretty sure I had already buried in there somewhere a slight accusation of such, not only because (s)he had ONLY ever posted in this thread, but also because I simply had a hard time believing somebody so vapid, resistant to logic, and unable to even follow THEIR OWN argument (let alone other people's), and yet somehow still manage to use a computer, write in a linguistically adequate fashion - even if not at all a logically adequate one, and somehow actually even remember to breathe without constantly being reminded to do so (which YOU now suddenly find yourself oddly unable to manage...) Breathe in... Breathe out.
I should pull up some older posts from Cookiemonster. You couldn't tell if they where trolling or if it was a French Canadian thing at first.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ferm...please-172206/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/impo...-local-166435/

Sad thing is he started out normal and went troll.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #116
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Without making any comments on the validity of anyone's arguments here... This is possibly the most contradictory single sentence I've read here.
That is hilarious.

But even beyond the contradiction... he has to be correct... No one on this board is a scientist. And no one on this board is over the age of 31 (as he claims to be). So he must have more scientific experience than everyone here.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #117
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad

That is hilarious.

But even beyond the contradiction... he has to be correct... No one on this board is a scientist. And no one on this board is over the age of 31 (as he claims to be). So he must have more scientific experience than everyone here.
How can you be so sure?

I'm studying neuroscience on a full scholarship, so I do, in fact, have a solid background in chemistry. I guess you could say I'm "not quite there", but even if somebody has astonishing credentials, it's a really stupid thing to dick size and argue about over the Internet, because anybody can make up just about anything. And I'm sure that anybody with the brains to actually back up their creds realizes that they'll just end up looking foolish even attempting it.

But although you might be able to say anything you want about how intelligent and learned you may or may not be, backing it up is a whole other matter - and believe me, this guy doesn't even come close to doing so. He can't even keep track of his own argument, let alone intelligently assert it, so even if he is telling the truth (I'm not going to dispute it or even speculate, as I've met more than a few degree-laden half-wits), it's obviously not doing him any good anyway.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #118
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
How can you be so sure?

I'm studying neuroscience on a full scholarship, so I do, in fact, have a solid background in chemistry. I guess you could say I'm "not quite there", but even if somebody has astonishing credentials, it's a really stupid thing to dick size and argue about over the Internet, because anybody can make up just about anything. And I'm sure that anybody with the brains to actually back up their creds realizes that they'll just end up looking foolish even attempting it.

But although you might be able to say anything you want about how intelligent and learned you may or may not be, backing it up is a whole other matter - and believe me, this guy doesn't even come close to doing so. He can't even keep track of his own argument, let alone intelligently assert it, so even if he is telling the truth (I'm not going to dispute it or even speculate, as I've met more than a few degree-laden half-wits), it's obviously not doing him any good anyway.
Ummmmmm... I hope you took my comment as sarcastically as it was intended...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #119
hodge
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, what a thread. I appreciate all of you that have participated. As a result, my O2 system from Williams will be arriving tomorrow. Needless to say, I'll be using it for my next brew and, just maybe, I'll post some anecdotal findings on this thread.

You guys are awesome, thanks again for posting.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #120
scadieux
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made the same recipe (oatmeal stout) with and without oxygen.

Day and night result.

Took less time to ferment, reached FG and much better taste. Drier and more grain flavor coming through.

Quick Reply