New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I can't believe I'm about to post this...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well...I took another sample, left it out all day, used a whisk to degas it...and the gravity still reads 1.024. It very well may be done, but it just makes me nervous to bottle it with this uncertainty. I am going to be brewing an altbier soon, so I think I will pitch some of the yeast starter for that beer (wlp036) into this stout and see if anything happens. If it still remains at 1.024 then I will feel more confident in calling it done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

The only other thing ill add would be the accuracy of your thermometer when you mashed as a coupe degrees higher could be a contributing factor as well

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The only other thing ill add would be the accuracy of your thermometer when you mashed as a coupe degrees higher could be a contributing factor as well
I had wondered about this as well. Thermometer paranoia is why I bought a Thermapen.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
I hear ya, but, I am sufficiently confident in my thermometer (it reads 211.5°F in boiling water). And if I remember the brewday correctly. I may have mashed in lower than I wanted to...though I also have a recollection of then adding some boiling water to up the temp...now where did I put my brewday notes? Did I take any brewday notes?
duboman Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok...so here's what I did...I racked a German Pils into secondary on Friday and pitched some of the yeast slurry (wlp833) into a pint of starter wort. On Saturday morning I pitched this starter into the potentially stalled stout. I did see some airlock activity on Sunday...but it may also just have been some off-gassing from the warming house. I'll take a gravity reading tonight or tomorrow and see if there's been any change. If not, I will consider it done and bottle. If the gravity has dropped I'll let it go a few more days and see where it ends up.

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
FourSeasonAngler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I've had similar problems with beers stalling a bit around 1.020 that should finish 4 or 5 points lower. My best success has been rousing the yeast and warming to "high" temp for the ale yeast strain you're working with. Looks liek WWLP001 upper end is 73F, maybe try swirling up the yeast well and bringing it up to 72/73F for a couple days to see if some of that extra sugar will get eaten up?

Why is the home brew always gone?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourSeasonAngler View Post
I've had similar problems with beers stalling a bit around 1.020 that should finish 4 or 5 points lower. My best success has been rousing the yeast and warming to "high" temp for the ale yeast strain you're working with. Looks liek WWLP001 upper end is 73F, maybe try swirling up the yeast well and bringing it up to 72/73F for a couple days to see if some of that extra sugar will get eaten up?
Thanks...but already tried that to no avail. Pitching the pint of lager yeast is my last attempt. If the gravity does't drop, I will be confident it is done and assume it was the combination of roasted and crystal mats and mash temp. Again, I am not overly worried...just trying to troubleshoot an unexpected outcome.

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sometimes I save a little wort (just enough to fill a hydrometer tube) and add it to the dregs of my starter. I'll let that ferment on the counter. Then I have some idea of how low I can expect the beer to go. I figure at the higher temp, with me swirling now and again, it will ferment out as far as its going to.

Just an idea you might try next time you make that recipe.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
Sometimes I save a little wort (just enough to fill a hydrometer tube) and add it to the dregs of my starter. I'll let that ferment on the counter. Then I have some idea of how low I can expect the beer to go. I figure at the higher temp, with me swirling now and again, it will ferment out as far as its going to.

Just an idea you might try next time you make that recipe.
That's called a 'satellite' ferment. I do something similar. After I pitch I fill my hydrometer tube for my OG and just let it sit out. It helps me with my temperature strategy for the main ferment. I start all my ales at a low temperature and then finish high.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just to close this thread out...I finally got around to bottling this sucker. FG was 1.022. Given the amount of time, the rousing, the increased temperature, and the pitch of active lager yeast, I am confident that 1.022 was where it was supposed to finish. This actually makes sense when I look back at the original recipe I got from the Snake River brewer. The recipe seemed to have too high an OG and too much grain for a 6% ABV beer, so I adjusted down assuming it was going to finish at 1.015 or so...never really thinking that it wouldn't. Well, scaling back the recipe and finishing at 1.022 leaves me at 5.3%. If I had left it alone and started where he told me to I would be right at 6%! It just never occurred to me to ask what their finishing gravity was! Lesson learned I guess. This beer is still going to be a great beer - I'm drinking a chilled, uncarbed sample right now and I'm very happy with how it is tasting.

My Beer Cellar
Pappers_ Likes This 

Quick Reply