Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I blew the lid off of my fermentor!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
CJSIXER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I blew the lid off of my fermentor!

I have been a member for a couple of years but this is my first thread. I wanted to get some opinions of what the likelyhood is of my batch being ruined.

I brewed an Imperial IPA in the vein of Stone Ruination or Three Floyds Dreadnaught. I figured since it had an original gravity of nearly 1.08 that I would need a blow off tube instead of an airlock. We finished up last night at around 9pm. When I got up this morning around 10am I was disappointed to see that it hadn't started to show signs of activity. By lunch time things were off to the races. As time went on pressure built until there was bubbling comming out around the lid grommet and around the edges of the lid. Finally there was a boom and the lid blew right off of the fermentor. Check out the pic.

Well we put the lid back on and stacked some books on it. What are the chances I will end up with a ruined batch? I was very careful with sanitation prior to closing up the fermentor the first time. Do you think things will turn out all right?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Thank you for posting a picture of your fun!

I think you'll b alright, with the yeast going crazy like that there's a good chance it took care of any bacteria that could have gotten in there. People have dropped way weirder things inside fermenters and came out alright, so just keep an eye on it, and bottle it up. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a clever name for it and all that after this experience.

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

CJSIXER Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
CJSIXER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for chiming in. I only left the lid off the fermentor long enough to take a quick picture before I snapped it back on. We stacked a half a dozen of my wifes old programing textbooks on top to try to make sure it doesn't blow off again. Things are back to the races and it is pumping a TON of CO2 out of the hose. It is also forcing a small amount of beer out all around the edge of the lid.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
HotRodJosh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Is your blow off tube connected to a racking tube? If it goes to the bottom of your bucket, it isn't going let CO2 out like that.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

It'll be fine. Your skin, on the other hand, may suffer when the wife sees that mess...

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
CJSIXER Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thank you for following rule #1. When something like this happens, take pictures to share BEFORE you start clean-up.

Don't sweat infection. If it's pumping out CO2 like that, it's pretty protected. Make sure you clean out that blow-off tube though or it might happen again.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
CJSIXER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
Is your blow off tube connected to a racking tube? If it goes to the bottom of your bucket, it isn't going let CO2 out like that.
THat was part of a siphon that broke. I cut the inner tube off. The plastic tube only goes into the bucket a couple of inches. It is definitely up above the level of the beer.

Even with all the books stacked on top it popped the lid off again. It basically just popped the seal and sprayed a small amount of the krausen onto the wall again. Much easier to clean up this time. So I snapped it back on and I am hoping that it stays on this time.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
CJSIXER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Thank you for following rule #1. When something like this happens, take pictures to share BEFORE you start clean-up.

Don't sweat infection. If it's pumping out CO2 like that, it's pretty protected. Make sure you clean out that blow-off tube though or it might happen again.
THat is the funny thing. The tube isn't clogged. It just seems that the CO2 output of the yeast is of a higher volume than the hose can vent. I think things would be better if I had a 1 inch tube so it could flow more volume.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
NBBC13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSIXER View Post
THat was part of a siphon that broke. I cut the inner tube off. The plastic tube only goes into the bucket a couple of inches. It is definitely up above the level of the beer.

Even with all the books stacked on top it popped the lid off again. It basically just popped the seal and sprayed a small amount of the krausen onto the wall again. Much easier to clean up this time. So I snapped it back on and I am hoping that it stays on this time.
shouldn't be a big deal at all. I fill my fermenters almost to the rim and I've had the lid blown off (although, not quite as dramatically as yours) multiple times without any issues. I've also had textbooks stacked on top too.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Thanks for taking pictures. It may be better to let the pressure off till it slows. If you get a good seal on the lid and pressure builds, it can blow up. That first mess in the picture is nothing.

Quick Reply