Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I am wondering if anyone washes yeast with this method...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
iamperplexed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've never washed yeast or racked onto slurry but I would like to try. Any harm in saving the slurry from a 3 gal batch in a sanitized jar or growler for a day or so (in the fridge) then pitching directly into a 5 gal batch of a very similar beer? I'm assuming I can just sanitize the jar, funnel it in and then close it up tight with a lid since it's going directly into the fridge.

Yeast is a Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
DrewschBag
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 for taking the yeast off the starter. However, there seems to be some confusion here on flocculant yeast. To my knowledge a yeast strain has a certain characteristic of flocculation, meaning that each cell should roughly behave the same way within the strain. Since most of us are only using 1 strain at a time, the debate over losing less flocculant cells when decanting seems to be a moot one.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
smprince18
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would agree that a yeast strain has a certain characteristic, however once you put the yeast in a less then ideal situation, different PH, OH concentration it will stress the yeast and lead to mutations that are selective for the current conditions. This is one reason why i always save my yeast from a starter. The OH potential is minimal, the fact there is no hops helps minimize the ph issue.. this should help minimize the potential for the yeast to mutate do to conditions, thus giving me the closest to what the lab intended for that yeast.

The debate would be that if you are saving yeast from the bottom of your primary the yeast falling out of solution at different times could have different characteristics flocculation one of them, if you dont mix this solution before saving you are going to save certain yeast that have been selected for more flocculation at the bottom layer and less on the top layer. I think this is a very moot point if you save from a starter. If you save from previous beers the yeast would have mutated to strive in the environment it was cultured in (beer 1) and it could change certain aspects of the yeast when used in beer two, esp if beer two has considerable difference then beer one, Again [OH], ph to name a few.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I prefer harvesting (and freezing) some vials of yeast from 2L starters made from a fresh, new yeast purchase. I'll end up with 2-4 extra vials which will be good for 2-4 future starters. But this is primarily because I don't brew more than twice a month.

If I brewed more often, I could certainly see dealing with washing yeast and reusing in short order.

LoloMT7 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Is 65 too warm for storing yeast?

I rinsed one batch of yeast per the method in the 'Illustrated' thread, so I've got some jars of yeast in my fridge. They are in my fridge in the house, at... 40F? ... whatever the normal temp is for a fridge. I have a fermenting fridge controlled by an STC-1000 too, and I kind of want to put my yeast in it to make room in my household fridge. Will they be ok in there, or better in the colder fridge?

Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
smprince18
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

colder is better IMHO

Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
I've never washed yeast or racked onto slurry but I would like to try. Any harm in saving the slurry from a 3 gal batch in a sanitized jar or growler for a day or so (in the fridge) then pitching directly into a 5 gal batch of a very similar beer? I'm assuming I can just sanitize the jar, funnel it in and then close it up tight with a lid since it's going directly into the fridge.

You should be fine just don't use all of the slurry in your fementer over pitching can be just as bad as under pitching

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #28
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post

No harm at all, just pitch the proper amount.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #29
iamperplexed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
You should be fine just don't use all of the slurry in your fementer over pitching can be just as bad as under pitching
Studying the mr malty calculator now. I think I'm getting a handle on an amount. Thanks for the info everyone.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Heflover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why wash yeast at all? The stuff you get from the store has "nutrients" in it. Isn't that just wort/beer?

I have been scooping yeast and whatever's left of the beer from the bottom of primary in an iodophor-washed jar and sealing the lid. I put it in the fridge. That's it.

The next time I make a batch, I take some of the newly made wort, chill it in a pint glass in the fridge for a while, shake up the yeast jar, and after a while, I pour that in the pint glass, seal it with some cellophane wrap and rubber bands and it goes to work. Pretty soon, the cellophane is bulging out, a clear sign the yeast is still alive and is going to work on the wort.

I've even seen little bubbles coming out of the liquid. Later, when the kettle of wort is cooled, I put that and the starter in the primary fermenter.

This works fine and all my beers have tasted fine.

What's wrong with this?

Quick Reply