Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I am wondering if anyone washes yeast with this method...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default I am wondering if anyone washes yeast with this method...

I have also come across this famous sticker on yeas washing: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

There is one thing that puzzles me about this process: what is the point of keeping 4 mason jars in the fridge when you could just open them after a couple of days (once the yeast has formed a nice layer at the bottom) and dump most of the excess water. Swirl with the little bit of water you leave in the jar (just to stir up the yeast at the bottom) and pour the content of the mason jars into one. Less space, 3 empty jars to wash more yeast, and you will need all the slur eventually for a 5-gallon batch (if you dont make a starter).

Any ideas if this would be a good idea to do (or good practice)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Ideal situation is to have the fewest jars taking up space. One labeled jar with yeast name and fermentation date. Leaves more room for bottles of beer to carbonate.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

When I wash yeast I end up with 3 jars. I don't wash all of the time. So if I can get 6 batches from one smack pack I'm ahead of the game in my eyes. The good thing is that I only use 3 strains the majority of the time. So I don't have a giant bank of jars to deal with.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Ideal situation is to have the fewest jars taking up space. One labeled jar with yeast name and fermentation date. Leaves more room for bottles of beer to carbonate.
Yes, that is why I am trying to find a way to reduce the amount of jars in my fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13 View Post
When I wash yeast I end up with 3 jars. I don't wash all of the time. So if I can get 6 batches from one smack pack I'm ahead of the game in my eyes. The good thing is that I only use 3 strains the majority of the time. So I don't have a giant bank of jars to deal with.
6 batches from one smack pack? How do you do that?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Make a starter and then wash the yeast from it.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

I have a dedicated brewing fridge. Problem solved.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Yes, that is why I am trying to find a way to reduce the amount of jars in my fridge.

When I wash my yeast I use a larger mason jar to fill 3 smaller jars. When I reuse the yeast in my small jars I'll wash yeast from a lightest batch with the fewest adjuncts(peel, sugar). If I get another 3 from a second generation I would've had 6 total.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
I think you need to keep the yeast in the fridge...and bottles don't carb in the fridge.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
jmccraney
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, combining jars is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, and if it works w your process go for it. Just make sure you make a starter, I wouldn't recommend pitching washed yeast without one unless it's within a week of harvest. Using all the yeast you recovered may approximate a proper pitch rate, but a good starter guarantees the yeast is healthy and active when you pitch.

As to reasons why you wouldn't, again it depends on your process. First, one less step is one less chance for infection. I would guess the author of the sticky uses each jar to seed separate starters for separate batches of beer, so they're already split and ready to go. Remember, you don't need a whole jar of solid yeast to inoculate a starter. Chris White (white labs and coauthor of Yeast w JZ) recommends aiming for a 10 fold increase when propagating yeast to maximize yeast vitality.

As for my process, I prefer to split off a small jar when making a starter to save for next time. It ferments by itself, so I don't have to wash it or otherwise transfer it. I believe it was Jamil Z who said either in Yeast or in a podcast that the safest place for yeast is under the beer they've just made. This requires no extra work, less opportunity for genetic drift, and no added source of contamination, so it works for me. When I do harvest yeast, it's often to repitch immediately or the next weekend (ie no starter), so in that case I do use a single container.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
smprince18
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I buy soda preform bottles (same as white labs) I then wash the yeast down and decant most of the water off and pour with a funnel into the preforms, then i made a shelf in my fridge that has holes in it rough 27 so i can keep plenty of yeast around.

http://www.teachersource.com/product...caps/chemistry
http://www.amazon.com/25mm-150mm-Pol...s=soda+preform

screen-shot-2013-07-11-7.26.09-pm.png  

Quick Reply