The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I always wondered how much yeast was in my ball jar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
steveg5555
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I always wondered how much yeast was in my ball jar

So I took a smackpack of British Ale II and dumped it into the same size ball jar (8oz) that I put washed yeast. Turns out its pretty close to the same. There is some junk on top of the smackpack yeast cake that i presume to be inert stuff. I did not "smack" the pack. I just dumped the contents and added a little water to swirl out some yeast at the bottom. Tossed the activator packet. Safe to say that my washed yeast is ~ 1/2 or more of a smackpack. Now I know how to estimate the "amount" of yeast. Viability, actual yeast count, and such is still up in the air without a microscope and free time.
There may be a million posts on this but I couldnt find a pic that would satisfy my curiosity.
For the record: smackpack on left, my washed on right.

PS. Thank you Yeast Washing Illustrated.

photo-2-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Very cool. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing there's quite a bit of yeast in the nutrient/trub layer as well (based on woodland's blog). I bet half is pretty accurate.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

I love this comparison. I couldnt find anything that really told me how much yeast I had in my jars either!

I wonder if a White Labs vial would produce about the same amount? I will have to do this next time I get a vial...

Thanks for the demo!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Quick Reply