Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hydrometer vs Refractometer Reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Alellujah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer vs Refractometer Reading

I'm getting a major difference in the readings between my hydrometer and my newly purchased refractometer. hydrometer reads around 1.030 and refractometer is reading around 1.060.

I can't figure out why there would be such a wide difference between the two.

I used distilled water on the refractometer to calibrate it when it first arrived and it's supposed to have Automatic Temperature Compensation.

Anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

What does your hydrometer read in distilled water? You may have to calibrate the refractometer to your hydrometer. Beersmith has a utility to do that.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Are you reading sugar water/wort with the two, or beer? Alcohol throws off the refractometer's reading and needs to be corrected with a simple calculation.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Bigbeergeek is right, are you testing unfermented wort of fermenting beer? Once fermentation has begun alcohol and co2 through off the readings in a refractometer. There are online calculators that supposedly can compensate for those elements, but I don't trust them.

I only use my refract for pre-yeast pitch reading, but once fermentation begins I go back to the hydrometer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I guess I assumed that 1.030-1.060 wouldn't be beer yet. Never mind.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Alellujah
Recipes 

Thanks, guys. Alcohol throwing off the refractometer makes sense from what you're saying. I'm reading a beer that's in secondary. It started out at 1.124 (hydrometer read), and there's a lot of alcohol in there (smell and taste).

I have Beersmith, I'll check in there. Otherwise, is there somewhere i can go to find the compensating formula?

Thanks again!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Also, you really should calibrate your refractometer everytime you use it. Everytime you jar it you potentially knock the optics out of alignment.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Alellujah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Also, you really should calibrate your refractometer everytime you use it. Everytime you jar it you potentially knock the optics out of alignment.
Will do.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
Alellujah
Recipes 

Found this: Page of Calculators that seems to be fairly accurate.

Kind of sucks that I can't get an accurate read of where I'm at without thiefing out a bunch of beer as opposed to a few drops. Live and learn.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alellujah View Post
Found this: Page of Calculators that seems to be fairly accurate.

Kind of sucks that I can't get an accurate read of where I'm at without thiefing out a bunch of beer as opposed to a few drops. Live and learn.
It only takes 1/3 of a cup of beer to fill my hydrometer testing column... that's only 3 ounces. Hydrometers "waste" a negligible volume of beer.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply