Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hydrogen peroxide for agar plates/slants?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
stunsm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrogen peroxide for agar plates/slants?

I have seen small amounts of hydrogen peroxide mixed in with potato dextrose agar when working under less than ideal conditions for mycology use. The theory was that living organisms (the mycelium in this case) could process the peroxide in small concentrations, while spores would be destroyed, and in practice, this led to a tremendous decrease in contamination when working without a glove box or flowhood. Does anyone have experience trying this with malt agar in their plates or slants?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
dinertime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never heard of that, though all of my lab work has been done in what I assume could be considered close to "ideal" conditions. Do you have any information on the concentration of H2O2? I think I would rather try to be extra careful and/or make replicates of my plates and slants than risk oxidative damage of the yeast.

Ferm 1: ESB
Ferm 2: Chocolate Wheat
Drinking: Blocktoberfest

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Are you having problems with contamination? Sanitizing working surfaces, closing all windows and door, and using a heat source to create an updraft is usually sufficient for us.
I would think it would be difficult to accurately measure such a small amount of H2O2 given the small amount (200mL) of media I usually make.

Quick Reply