The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hydro Readings and Risk/Waste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
jalgayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydro Readings and Risk/Waste

All -
I see many that talk about taking hydro readings over and over until you have 2-3 days of unchanged readings.

My concerns:

[1] Opening and closing and extracting samples 3-4-5-6 times can be a little risky for infection (not panicking, but chance >0% --- kinda like why people dont rack to secondary - risk of oxidation and contamination etc)

[2] Waste - I know it is not a lot but again, 3-4-5-6 readings at 6-8 oz a pop can get up to 48 oz (4 beers)... Again, I know that it is important to know that fermentation is done...

What I have been doing is waiting the primary out ~2 weeks then checking. If I am at the targeted FG, I rack to secondary. If I am only using a primary, I just wait the ~2 weeks and check, then wait another 1-2 weeks then bottle.

So, if I know that my approximate FG is 1.013 and I check at 2 weeks and I am at 1.011... I dont check it again until just before I bottle.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I take an OG when I brew, and when I go to bottle (or keg) it. That's it. I don't see the point of taking SG readings more often. You can't rush the yeast, and you don't want to rush to bottle it anyway. So, I just wait until I'm ready to package it.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you are giving the beer a sufficient amount of time in the primary, like a couple weeks, you get pretty good at just knowing that it is done. Now this wouldn't apply for a very big beer, or if you have something like certain Belgians, or bugs in the batch that are notorius for dragging out the ferment.

It's always good to check the OG when you think it is done, but there is usually no cause to be in there 4,5, or 6 times checking it. RDWHAHB and let the yeast do their work.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
jalgayer
Recipes 

Yeah...
Even though I have only done 6 or so batches... I am already able to get an idea from the temp drop, the clarity of the beer, the kraussen, etc.

I just keep seeing alot of people say to "look for 2-3 days of no change in OG". Which like I said could equate to 4-5-6 readings if you dont have a steady gravity the first time or two.

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Quick Reply