Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How well will the yeast hold up in long shipping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default How well will the yeast hold up in long shipping?

I'm a little concerned about the condition of my yeast when it arrives today. I ordered from Austin Homebrew on May 29 but due to the Memorial Day weekend my order isn't getting here until today (June 7). I'm pretty sure they didn't add the yeast to the shipment until the day it shipped (June 1) but that still means it has been in transit for a week.

When I have ordered from AHB other times it arrived in about 4 days and the yeast and cold pack were "cool" but not cold. After 7 days I'm worried that the yeast has been at room temperature for at least 3 days. I plan on making a starter, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go to the LHBS and pick up a new vial so I can be sure of the yeast viability?

This will be my first attempt at partial mash so if there is anything odd in the final product I want to be sure it was my process, not the yeast.

I live in north Idaho, so the temps aren't too extreme (highs around 65)
The yeast is WLP001.
I'm making Karankawa Pale Ale.

There's a thin line between fishing and standing on the shore swinging a stick around like an idiot...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
bja
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

You don't need to worry about room temperature, just extreme heat.

Make a starter, that's the only way you'll know for sure.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just make a starter and you will know better than we could ever extrapolate.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks guys. I'll make the starter and go with it from there.

There's a thin line between fishing and standing on the shore swinging a stick around like an idiot...

Quick Reply