Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How use gravity readings to detect ferment activity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
gkeusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How use gravity readings to detect ferment activity?

I cold crashed a starter, took it out of the fridge for four hours, then pitched it. I had no visual activity (and I mean none - cap still sitting firmly on post) in my airlock after 24 hours and panicked. In a previous thread I was told it was most likely OK, just taking time to wake up. Somebody asked if I had taken a gravity reading - I hadn't, but it didn't occur to me that any significant change in gravity (as in measurable with my standard hydrometer) could be detected without corresponding co2 activity. Is that not right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

How long did your starter go?
Did you bring the cold crash back to room temp before dumping in brew?
If you start a starter with 1.040 gravity liquid, after the starter finishes, the gravity should be lower then 1.040. That's because yeast ate the sugars while growing.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 213

No need to panic! 24 hours is not a long time and there are various factors involved such as pitch temp,, aeration of wort, fermentation temperature, size of starter, etc. Typically if you pitch cold the yeast takes a bit to acclimate and go through the growth phase as they gear up to begin actively fermenting your beer.

If things go 72 hours and still appears nothing is happening then take a reading. You could also have a leaky seal in the bucket lid allowing the gas to escape from somewhere other than the airlock.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeusch View Post
...but it didn't occur to me that any significant change in gravity (as in measurable with my standard hydrometer) could be detected without corresponding co2 activity. Is that not right?
That is incorrect. You're assuming that you can see the CO2 gas. Can you see it escaping an airlock? Yes. But what if you have a leak? You won't see it then.

Take a hydrometer reading. If things go three days without change in gravity, consider pitching another lot of yeast.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Quick Reply