Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to use brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
wedge421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How to use brett?

Im going to be brewing a fairly heft Saison at about 8% or so and I wanted to add some brett to it similar to what Boulevard does with their Saison Brett. Do you guys recommend that I ferment with a normal saison style yeast and then add Brett to the secondary? Or add both at the same time in the primary. Or should I just skip the saison yeast and just ferment with the brett? Any help is much appreciated!

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did a saison brett a while back, with a super simple grain bill of 90% pils, 10% munich. I pitched Wy#3724 and dregs from a bottle of Saison Brett at the same time in primary. The beer is awesome- it doesn't do very well in contests as it's more brett than saison yeast flavor, but it's delicious.Very close to the Boulevard beer - if I did it again I'd add a little wheat to try to get just a touch more smoothness in the body like the original has.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
wedge421
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do did you only ferment with the brett or did you ferment with another yeast first?

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

I did the bottle dregs, saison dupont dregs, and the Wy#3724 smackpack all at the same time.

I sent this beer into the NHC; it scored a 37 but didn't advance. The comment from the Master judge was "I'd keep this beauty to myself. Competitions will not do justice to how elegant this beer is to drink".

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I must say that using bottle dregs with your pitch is a fantastic idea.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First. What kind of profile are you hoping to achieve from the Brett, also how much intensity do you want?

Unless you want super hardcore Brett taste I don't recommend using it as your primary fermenter.

Instead I would pitch a regular saison strain, wait for your krausen to drop, then throw in the Brett.

If you want some a barnyardy/smokey profile (much more intense) use Brett L. If you want something more mild and fruity, go with Brett B.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Using brett as a primary fermenter doesn't give you hardcore anything. I've done it a couple times, and it behaves basically like regular yeast. I did it with Brett B and got a spicy, peppery profile, and with whichever brett that Boulevard Saison Brett uses to get a nice tropical fruit and light spice profile.

I was talking about something different, though... adding dregs at the start of ferment does increase the brett presence over adding dregs later, but in a beer like this it's absolutely worth your time. Just use the Saison Brett dregs and you can't go wrong.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
SickTransitMundus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

100% brett or co-pitched beers are really... aggressive, taste-wise. Depends on how strong you want the brett qualities. I make a brett-Quadrupel by fermenting out with WY3522. Then I racked to a keg and added a pack of WY5112. Then I sealed it, purged it, and stuck it in a warm place for a long time.

Gallons in 2011: 145 and counting.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
everenlightened
Recipes 

I have a Flanders red in secondary currently. I co-pitched with wyeast London ale and wyeast lambic blend smack packs(sorry don't have my notes, can't remember the numbers) they primaried very nicely together, and after about three weeks I racked to secondary.

Here is where I'm confused, the recipe calls for pitching a pack of straight Brett (wyeast 5526? I think) but I already have a mild pellicle, I guess left over from the lambic blend.

Should I go ahead and pitch the Brett? I have a good sourness from the sour mash wort. But I was planning on separating the secondary so I could rack both onto oak with some and cherries with some also. If I'm going to age for 6 more months I want a little variety, but I don't want any bugs from the oak or fruit to take over.

Also I've heard that I should add yeast prior to bottling? I've never bottled after using Brett, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

"You win some you lose some. But with Cook-Out you always win!" - Jacob Epps

Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Have you seen this new Saison strain from White Labs?

WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend
Inspired by local American brewers crafting semi- traditional Belgian-style ales. This
blend creates a complex flavor profile with a moderate level of sourness. It consists of a
traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces. Great yeast for farmhouse ales,
Saisons, and other Belgian-inspired beers.
Attenuation: 75-82%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F
(20-22°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 5-10%

Quick Reply