Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to store excess WLP yeast?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Hlmartin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

Will you read the OP before responding like this. He said he was going to ferment around 75 F and was concerned about the yeast health. My comment had nothing to do with the quality of the beer. It was more to do with the quality of the yeast post fermentation.

And yes yeast (like many other organisms) prefer higher temperatures. No-one said it would produce good beer at those temperatures. Why do you think you hydrate yeast at a high temp? Ever heard of a yeast infection (nice warm area of the body - yeast loves it).
The effects on the beer would be poor down the toilet... Read the whole post! Making certain your comment doesn't waste someone's time and money.
__________________
Hlmartin22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
BigRob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 604
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You hydrate at a higher temp because it results in less cell death during the rehydrating process.

Best method to save yeast is making a starter out of your vial, if you're growing the yeast in 1.040 wort with good aeration, there's a stress free life for the little guys. Then you could simply cold crash, decant the starter beer, and split your remaining yeast to save.

Given the typical OG of an IPA, and the large underpitch of using half a vial, sub par aeration. You'll likely be harvesting yeast that have undergone a significant amount of stress. A better solution would be to make a smaller beer and harvest the yeast and then make your IPA with some of the harvested yeast.

__________________
BigRob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,412
Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlmartin22 View Post
The effects on the beer would be poor down the toilet... Read the whole post! Making certain your comment doesn't waste someone's time and money.
1) The yeast will be fine at 75 F. That was the original question. The beer may very well be ok too, but you would run a risk of undesirable flavors.

2) The comment about 90F was to show yeast are fine at much higher temperatures so 75 should not be a concern with respect to that aspect. No-one said to brew beer at 90 F.
__________________
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Hlmartin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob
You hydrate at a higher temp because it results in less cell death during the rehydrating process.

Best method to save yeast is making a starter out of your vial, if you're growing the yeast in 1.040 wort with good aeration, there's a stress free life for the little guys. Then you could simply cold crash, decant the starter beer, and split your remaining yeast to save.

Given the typical OG of an IPA, and the large underpitch of using half a vial, sub par aeration. You'll likely be harvesting yeast that have undergone a significant amount of stress. A better solution would be to make a smaller beer and harvest the yeast and then make your IPA with some of the harvested yeast.
Nice
__________________
Hlmartin22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gameface's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 974
Liked 154 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
1) The yeast will be fine at 75 F. That was the original question. The beer may very well be ok too, but you would run a risk of undesirable flavors.

2) The comment about 90F was to show yeast are fine at much higher temperatures so 75 should not be a concern with respect to that aspect. No-one said to brew beer at 90 F.
None of that was clear in your first post. You seemed to be saying that it was a good idea to make beer with this yeast from 75F all the way up to 90F and that 90F might even be better than 75F.

Maybe that wasn't the message you were trying to send but that's what I and obviously several others thought you were saying.
__________________
Gameface is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 6,504
Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

I would agree with a previous post. You might have enough yeast for your 2.5 gallon batch. Pitch the whole vial.

Check out mrmalty.com for yeast pitching rates.

To save some you could make a starter to get some extra or brew then wash the cake.

You could also research freezing yeast.

__________________
kh54s10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,412
Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
None of that was clear in your first post. You seemed to be saying that it was a good idea to make beer with this yeast from 75F all the way up to 90F and that 90F might even be better than 75F.

Maybe that wasn't the message you were trying to send but that's what I and obviously several others thought you were saying.
I apologise if my post was not clear, but I did say "The yeast will do fine, it prefers 90s. Not sure of the effects on the beer though."
__________________
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Hlmartin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

I apologise if my post was not clear, but I did say "The yeast will do fine, it prefers 90s. Not sure of the effects on the beer though."
Lol...

Fruitless discussion :killpost:
__________________
Hlmartin22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 442
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to use the full vial. The OG of the beer is supposed to be 1.06-1.07. Is this going to be to much stress on the test to wash and reuse, even with a starter? Slowly building my stir plate, hope to have it working in a week or so.

__________________
Chris7687 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 6,504
Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to use the full vial. The OG of the beer is supposed to be 1.06-1.07. Is this going to be to much stress on the test to wash and reuse, even with a starter? Slowly building my stir plate, hope to have it working in a week or so.

What's taking so long? I built mine in less than 2 hours. I had to try a couple different power-packs to get the right speed. It did take a week to receive my flask and DME etc though.
__________________
kh54s10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creative uses for excess yeast Drachental_Des Fermentation & Yeast 8 06-10-2011 06:32 PM
Question about excess yeast in hydro sample culaslucas General Techniques 4 06-15-2009 03:41 AM
How to store yeast? kingoslo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-10-2009 11:01 PM
Excess yeast buildup in bottles littlejon326 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 01-20-2009 07:39 PM
Has anyone noticed certain yeast strains to cause excess or extra stinky gas? Donasay General Chit Chat 5 02-22-2008 06:35 PM



Newest Threads