Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to store excess WLP yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Hlmartin22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

Will you read the OP before responding like this. He said he was going to ferment around 75 F and was concerned about the yeast health. My comment had nothing to do with the quality of the beer. It was more to do with the quality of the yeast post fermentation.

And yes yeast (like many other organisms) prefer higher temperatures. No-one said it would produce good beer at those temperatures. Why do you think you hydrate yeast at a high temp? Ever heard of a yeast infection (nice warm area of the body - yeast loves it).
The effects on the beer would be poor down the toilet... Read the whole post! Making certain your comment doesn't waste someone's time and money.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You hydrate at a higher temp because it results in less cell death during the rehydrating process.

Best method to save yeast is making a starter out of your vial, if you're growing the yeast in 1.040 wort with good aeration, there's a stress free life for the little guys. Then you could simply cold crash, decant the starter beer, and split your remaining yeast to save.

Given the typical OG of an IPA, and the large underpitch of using half a vial, sub par aeration. You'll likely be harvesting yeast that have undergone a significant amount of stress. A better solution would be to make a smaller beer and harvest the yeast and then make your IPA with some of the harvested yeast.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlmartin22 View Post
The effects on the beer would be poor down the toilet... Read the whole post! Making certain your comment doesn't waste someone's time and money.
1) The yeast will be fine at 75 F. That was the original question. The beer may very well be ok too, but you would run a risk of undesirable flavors.

2) The comment about 90F was to show yeast are fine at much higher temperatures so 75 should not be a concern with respect to that aspect. No-one said to brew beer at 90 F.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Hlmartin22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob
You hydrate at a higher temp because it results in less cell death during the rehydrating process.

Best method to save yeast is making a starter out of your vial, if you're growing the yeast in 1.040 wort with good aeration, there's a stress free life for the little guys. Then you could simply cold crash, decant the starter beer, and split your remaining yeast to save.

Given the typical OG of an IPA, and the large underpitch of using half a vial, sub par aeration. You'll likely be harvesting yeast that have undergone a significant amount of stress. A better solution would be to make a smaller beer and harvest the yeast and then make your IPA with some of the harvested yeast.
Nice

Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
1) The yeast will be fine at 75 F. That was the original question. The beer may very well be ok too, but you would run a risk of undesirable flavors.

2) The comment about 90F was to show yeast are fine at much higher temperatures so 75 should not be a concern with respect to that aspect. No-one said to brew beer at 90 F.
None of that was clear in your first post. You seemed to be saying that it was a good idea to make beer with this yeast from 75F all the way up to 90F and that 90F might even be better than 75F.

Maybe that wasn't the message you were trying to send but that's what I and obviously several others thought you were saying.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I would agree with a previous post. You might have enough yeast for your 2.5 gallon batch. Pitch the whole vial.

Check out mrmalty.com for yeast pitching rates.

To save some you could make a starter to get some extra or brew then wash the cake.

You could also research freezing yeast.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
None of that was clear in your first post. You seemed to be saying that it was a good idea to make beer with this yeast from 75F all the way up to 90F and that 90F might even be better than 75F.

Maybe that wasn't the message you were trying to send but that's what I and obviously several others thought you were saying.
I apologise if my post was not clear, but I did say "The yeast will do fine, it prefers 90s. Not sure of the effects on the beer though."

Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Hlmartin22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

I apologise if my post was not clear, but I did say "The yeast will do fine, it prefers 90s. Not sure of the effects on the beer though."
Lol...

Fruitless discussion :killpost:

Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to use the full vial. The OG of the beer is supposed to be 1.06-1.07. Is this going to be to much stress on the test to wash and reuse, even with a starter? Slowly building my stir plate, hope to have it working in a week or so.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to use the full vial. The OG of the beer is supposed to be 1.06-1.07. Is this going to be to much stress on the test to wash and reuse, even with a starter? Slowly building my stir plate, hope to have it working in a week or so.

What's taking so long? I built mine in less than 2 hours. I had to try a couple different power-packs to get the right speed. It did take a week to receive my flask and DME etc though.

Quick Reply