Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How is it still sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Carbonation also does a lot for reducing the sensation of sweetness, plus accentuating the hop aroma. Green beer is also probably the case here too...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
Hello all. I have been fermenting a double ipa for 2 weeks. The og was 1.075 and I am hovering at about 1.012 now. I used safe ale 05 and Nottingham and the Nottingham beer tastes sort of sweet and smells like peach nectar. It just isn't crisp. I fermented at 68 through thermowell. The beer kind of tastes a little like fruit scnapps. Is there any hope. I used a lot of amarillo and citra hops late in this beer. Also, the rye ipa I made next to this in the freezer tastes clean already, to me this sweetness doesn't make sense because of the gravity the beer is at. Thanks.
68*F is on the high end for Notty (even though they publish 70 as the upper end). It's a different sort of ale yeast vs. US-05. You can run it way down at 55*F and still get an active fermentation (done that), but it has a reputation of throwing some off-flavors as you move on into the upper 60's/low 70's. That could explain the difference in the flavor you're tasting.

If you control temps (which it sounds like you can), try knocking any future Nottingham batches down to around 62*F (measured on the side of the bucket).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply