New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to step up a yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #11
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sulli - you're right, that calculator is easier to use and does appear to correlate to Mr. Malty. Thank you. (I'm guessing that is your site and calculator? Very nice.)

michael - that makes sense now. Both White Labs and Wyeast claim about 100 billion cells at full viability. Thank you.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
billtzk
Recipes 

So, it turns out that Denny's Favorite 50 - Wyeast 1450 - is a low flocculating yeast. I've got to grow this starter to a pitchable quantity through two stages. It's been 24 hours since I pitched into the first 3 liters of starter wort, and the yeast is still mostly suspended. There's plenty of krausen still on top, and only a very thin layer of floc'd yeast on the bottom.

How long does this yeast take to flocculate appreciably? It's looking like if I wait for the yeast to flocculate so I can decant the spent wort and pitch it into the second 3 liter starter wort, I won't be brewing for another week.

To speed this up, I'm considering just adding another three liters to the current wort, then wait 24 hours and cold crash it until it's clear. I can't pitch 6 liters of oxidized starter into my stout. Anyone know how long it takes for the Denny's Favorite 50 yeast to flocculate out at 36F degrees?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
billtzk
Recipes 

I changed my mind and decided to put it in the fridge to floc out so I can decant before going to step 2. I'm not in too much of a hurry to brew this stout, so I don't mind if it takes a while. I'll brew an English Mild while I'm waiting for this starter to be ready.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anybody have a guesstimate of the number of yeast cells in the dregs of a bottle of beer - Bell's Amber Ale (5.8% ABV) to be precise? Got to start somewhere.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
billtzk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
Anybody have a guesstimate of the number of yeast cells in the dregs of a bottle of beer - Bell's Amber Ale (5.8% ABV) to be precise? Got to start somewhere.

You'd do better starting a new thread for that question.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
Spartan1979

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 61

A question about YeastCalc.

Say the first step has a starter volume of 1.5 liters and the second is 2.5 liters. Does the volume of the second include the first 1.5 liters or is that the additional amount? If that is the additional amount do I need a 4 liter + vessel or can I decant the excess liquid from the first one and just add the slurry to the the 2.5 liters?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
A question about YeastCalc.

Say the first step has a starter volume of 1.5 liters and the second is 2.5 liters. Does the volume of the second include the first 1.5 liters or is that the additional amount? If that is the additional amount do I need a 4 liter + vessel or can I decant the excess liquid from the first one and just add the slurry to the the 2.5 liters?
The volume of the second step is the amount of new wort added to the starter whether you decant or not. However, I would recommend decanting.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
oshucks
Recipes 

Chilling, decanting, and then adding the full 2.5 liters certainly sounds like a sensible approach, but it costs about a day, give-or-take.

Adding 2.5 liters on top of the original 1.5 liters would result in a wort gravity much lower than the nominal target of 1.040, assuming that the fermentable sugars from the initial wort have been largely or completely consumed. That is, you'd have about 250 g of DME in 4 liters of liquid.

Would it be a reasonable alternative approach to prepare 1 liter of new starter wort using 2.5 liters' worth of DME (ie, 250 grams), and then add that high-gravity wort to the 1.5 liters of now-depleted starter? At least in theory, that should result in roughly 2.5 liters of 1.040 wort. The advantage of this is not needing the extra day to chill and decant the initial batch. Are there any downsides?

Old 04-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
Or you could use this. It correlates with Mr. Malty, and is much easier to use. Enter the info for your wort. Then set the date of your smackpack, then enter 3 liters with intermittent shaking for the first step, and 3 liters with intermittent shaking for the second step, and you are there.
Awesome!! Just got done playing with the YeastCalc.com , very nice. His data seems to outperform Mr. Malty to me too. Nice to see that kind of work being done. Thanks very much for sharing the link.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
sicklesr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshucks View Post
Chilling, decanting, and then adding the full 2.5 liters certainly sounds like a sensible approach, but it costs about a day, give-or-take.

Adding 2.5 liters on top of the original 1.5 liters would result in a wort gravity much lower than the nominal target of 1.040, assuming that the fermentable sugars from the initial wort have been largely or completely consumed. That is, you'd have about 250 g of DME in 4 liters of liquid.

Does this make sense? I'm looking to step up a 4L starter to 8L starter, and I (unfortunately) don't have time to chill/decant.

Primary || Hop Face Punch ||
Secondary || "Intentional" Sour Pumpkin Ale ||
Bottles || Big Brew Day Belgian, Apline Spring Clone, Rooibos Red Ale, Hudson Valley Hard Cider, "First" All Grain Stout, Rye Pale Ale ||

Quick Reply