Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to step 100b cells to 800b cells

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
alfista
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default How to step 100b cells to 800b cells

Hi all,

I'm trying to use yeastcalc or mrmalty to figure out how to scale a fresh vial of yeast from 100bn cells to 800bn using a 1.8L flask and a stir plate. I can't seem to find a good guide on how to do this. Any thoughts, tips?

Cheers,

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You would have to do a multiple step starter. Maybe even like 5 or more, 1-1.5 liter starters. Might be best to use more than 1 vial if you have access to more..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

3 1.8L starters would get you to ~750 billion cells. Of course, you won't be able to fit that much in your flask. Probably 4 steps as much as you can fit in the flask will get you close. I would get a larger flask, personally. 2 3L starters would get you there.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just out of curiosity what are you going to make that requires 800B cells?

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Well there might not be any tips outside what you already know given your equipment.

A couple of other thoughts: (1) make a smaller beer, then use slurry in your big beer. (2) use dry yeast. Neither of those might be optimal, but either of them will work to get you to 800 billion+ cells if you don't want to take the time to make multi-step starters.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
alfista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks all for the tips.

The thought was to replicate some yeast without going through the yeast washing process, for a few upcoming batches of beer. I don't mind the time and effort as my stir plate and flasks have more downtime than the carboys, and I thought it would be a fun thing to do from an educational perspective. From a process perspective, I was interested in the math of the stepping process to not over-stress the yeast.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista View Post
Thanks all for the tips.

The thought was to replicate some yeast without going through the yeast washing process, for a few upcoming batches of beer. I don't mind the time and effort as my stir plate and flasks have more downtime than the carboys, and I thought it would be a fun thing to do from an educational perspective. From a process perspective, I was interested in the math of the stepping process to not over-stress the yeast.
Honestly I would do it a different way. Rather than step up to such a huge amount of yeast. I would just get up to 20-30 billion yeast in a jar per batch. Then you can just do a quick two-step starter when you are ready to roll. 500mL > 1.5L and you are up over 200 billion cells. A lot easier, IMO.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Keep in mind that the idea of a starter is not just to grow yeast but to grow HEALTHY yeast that performs optimally. By trying to just grow a huge amount of yeast to have on hand over time you are actually being counterproductive(IMVHO)

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Keep in mind that the idea of a starter is not just to grow yeast but to grow HEALTHY yeast that performs optimally. By trying to just grow a huge amount of yeast to have on hand over time you are actually being counterproductive(IMVHO)
Could you expand more on explaining the difference between increasing the yeast cell count and increasing the amount of healthy yeast cells? I would like to know about the proper way to raise more healthy yeast cells or at least things one should avoid in building up a starter.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Could you expand more on explaining the difference between increasing the yeast cell count and increasing the amount of healthy yeast cells? I would like to know about the proper way to raise more healthy yeast cells or at least things one should avoid in building up a starter.
It's all about inoculation rate or the number of cells per mL of wort. The OP can step up starters over time to achieve 800B cells in that small flask, but those cells will be competing for a limited amount of nutrients, oxygen, etc. This will stress them out and weaken them. Ideally you would just keep a smaller amount of yeast stored in the fridge and do a quick step up before brew day.

duboman Likes This 

Quick Reply