Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How is this starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
DonutBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How is this starter?

So, I harvested the yeast from the bottom of my primary fermenter, per the sticky on washing yeast. Some of it I saved, but a good portion of it I put into a starter in order to use on Sunday. This is my first yeast reuse and starter--I have always bought a fresh smack-pack in the past.

I pitched the yeast last night into the starter (1 cup DME-->3 cups water, boiled,cooled, added ~3cups washed yeast). Does this look right for ~24 h later? When I pitch into my new beer, should I pour off the liquid on top and use only the stuff at the bottom? If most of the yeast is still in solution, should I chill the starter overnight to make all the yeast fall to the bottom so I can get rid of most of the liquid?

Thanks for your help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
BrewStooge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks about right, some starters will be fully bred from just a few grams of yeast w/in 24 hours. As for chilling and pouring off the starter brew, it's really only a factor for huge (ie 1+ gallons) starters otherwise just toss it in.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Bubba
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks good to me I would swirl it up and pitch.

Quick Reply