Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How soon can I start 2nd stage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Gaffneydj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How soon can I start 2nd stage

Hello everyone,

I started an American Wheat - All Grain this past Thursday. The yeast was very active for 3 days and now it's completely still.

Does it matter how long I wait before I move it to the secondary fermenter or am I good as long as the yeast is no longer active?

I expect I'll want to get a gravity reading to make sure I am close to my expected FG, right?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

1) Yes, take gravity readings. Make SURE the fermentation is complete.

2) Why do you want to move it to a secondary anyway, aging it for a couple months?

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
BeerCyclist
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Why bother moving it and risk infection? Are you planning on doing something with it in secondary? If not, your best bet would be to leave it in primary until fermentation is complete, then bottle or keg. I typically bottle after 14 days.

Just chillin' balls...

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Gaffneydj
Recipes 

Well, I'm glad you brought that up...my thinking in going to the secondary fermenter is that it would be cleaner and I could leave that sludge that settles in the bottom of the primary behind. But I guess your right, the final stop is a Cornelius Keg and I could probably go there next.

So, let me ask you this...even though there isn't any apparent activity in the ferementer, is there still some fermentation going on? You say (BeerCyclist) you wait 14 days to bottle, is that because it's fermenting that whole time? Would there be anything wrong with going to the Keg after just a few days if the fermentation seems to be done?

Thanks,
D

Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffneydj View Post
Well, I'm glad you brought that up...my thinking in going to the secondary fermenter is that it would be cleaner and I could leave that sludge that settles in the bottom of the primary behind. But I guess your right, the final stop is a Cornelius Keg and I could probably go there next.

So, let me ask you this...even though there isn't any apparent activity in the ferementer, is there still some fermentation going on? You say (BeerCyclist) you wait 14 days to bottle, is that because it's fermenting that whole time? Would there be anything wrong with going to the Keg after just a few days if the fermentation seems to be done?

Thanks,
D
Rule #1: Do not move beer off yeast until Final Gravity has been reached and confirmed. This means you get two identical readings over 3 days, forget about airlock activity.

Unless you are bulk conditioning for a long time secondary is not necessary. Just add a week or two to primary after FG and the beer will clear nicely. In addition, if anything was off during active fermentation the yeast will actually help metabolize its own off flavors as well.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Rule #1: Do not move beer off yeast until Final Gravity has been reached and confirmed. This means you get two identical readings over 3 days, forget about airlock activity.

Unless you are bulk conditioning for a long time secondary is not necessary. Just add a week or two to primary after FG and the beer will clear nicely. In addition, if anything was off during active fermentation the yeast will actually help metabolize its own off flavors as well.
THIS. If you want a really clear beer, put fermenter in fridge for a week before you bottle/keg. This helps drop everything out quicker. Otherwise, it will also clear in the keg, provided you leave it alone and the colder the better. Just pour off the first half-pint after it's carbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
BeerCyclist
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

rule #1: Do not move beer off yeast until final gravity has been reached and confirmed. This means you get two identical readings over 3 days, forget about airlock activity.

Unless you are bulk conditioning for a long time secondary is not necessary. Just add a week or two to primary after fg and the beer will clear nicely. In addition, if anything was off during active fermentation the yeast will actually help metabolize its own off flavors as well.
+1

Just chillin' balls...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Gaffneydj
Recipes 

Great advice....thank you all for taking the time to share your knowledge. I really appreciate it! The recipe says "ready in 1 month" so I'll take a fg after two weeks and leave it in the remaining two weeks to let the flavors finish coming together. I'm also going to try refridgerating the Carboy in the Keggerator before I move to the keg too see if that helps with clarity. You guys are the best...thanks again!

Cheers!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Agreed with everything said in here. I'll add another piece of advice. Buy more fermentation vessels. Patience is much easier when you have a full pipeline.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
aceparadis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depending on what strain you used you may want to do a Diacetyl rest. Diacetyl is an unwanted buttery flavor produced by yeast during fermentation, good news is that once fermentation is compleate the yeast reasorbs the diacetyl. If you move your beer too soon you will have no way too remove the diacetyl unless you pitch new yeast. If your going to to do a secondary, wait for a gravity reading that doesnt change for at least three days. Then move it.

Quick Reply