The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > how should you properly re-pitch dry yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
indybrew79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how should you properly re-pitch dry yeast?

I'm in the process of making a pale wheat recipe from Brewers Best extract kit. Did a partial boil, cooled, pitched dry yeast, and went into primary. Fermentation didnt begin until about 30hrs and has been slow. Decided to repitch but was curious whether it is ok just to sprinkle dry yeast on top of partially fermented wort or whether i need to stir it in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I would rehydrate according to package instructions and pitch when rehydrated.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

First, fermentation as the sticky at the top of the beginner's forum states, can take up to 72 hours to even begin. So there's no need to repitch if you had fermentation start at 30 hours. That's really good.

Secondly how are you judging how active fermentation is? By the airlock? If so, your rate of airlock has NO correlation as to whether you have a good fermentation or not. An airlock is NOT A FERMENTATION GAUGE, it is only a vent, a valve to prevent EXCESS CO2 from building up and blowing the lid off the fermenter, it is nothing more. You can't judge rate of fermentation, or even if you have fermentation based on what an airlock does.

in fact, there really IS NO SUCH THING as a good or bad fermentation, there is ONLY FERMENTATION. If you have fermentation, then you don't need to add any more yeast.

New brewers have a tendency to feel they need to hover over their fermenters, and "fix" things, even when nothing needs to be done.

There is absolutely NO REASON to waste a packet of yeast. You have fermentation...that's all that matters.

At this point, I bet all you REALLY need to do is,

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

beerspitnight Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
gunmetal
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

To pitch dry yeast do this.....rehydrate. Take a sanitized measuring cup fill to the 1/3 cup mark or so. Stick it in the microwave for 3 minutes or so until its boiling. As it is doing this sanitize two aluminum foil squares , scissors, a fork, the yeast packet, and a thermometer in starsan or equivalent. Remove measuring cup of water insert thermo and tightly wrap with foil square removed from starsan. Place measuring cup in an ice bath, only allowing water to come up 2/3 of the way up the cup or so. The ice bath can cool the water pretty quick so keep checking the temp without removing the foil. You want the water to be between 95 and 105 degrees, so I shoot for the middle at 100. Then remove foil and place upside down, remove thermo, cut yeast pack with scissors and sprinkle yeast on top of the water and replace foil. Wait 15 to 20 minutes. After this time, stir in the yeast with the sanitized fork, it will clump on the fork, so it does take some time, I sometimes scrape off the clump on the sides of the cup and continue to stir until mixed. I try to do this fast because the yeast is exposed at this point. Recover with the second foil square. Wait another 15 minutes or so. Tightly hold the foil to the top of cup and shake gently, not vigorously, or else you will make a mess. Now you are ready to pitch. I try to start this towards the end of the boil, but everything is busy with late hop additions, etc. I have a plate chiller so I can cool a batch quickly= usually under 15 minutes. I use a mix stir stick on a drill to aerate. With this method, I can have fermentation activity in as little as 4 to 5 hours.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If ithe beer is already fermenting, then the yeast have multiplied several times, and the beer has a lot more yeast in it than what you have in that packet. Adding a little more won't make any difference.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
If ithe beer is already fermenting, then the yeast have multiplied several times, and the beer has a lot more yeast in it than what you have in that packet. Adding a little more won't make any difference.
There is a thing as adding too much yeast....

Again, if he has fermentatation, why do you think more yeast is needed?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

+1 to both of revvy's posts
It sounds like perhaps you didn't areate well, but don't areate now! (Just a suggestion for next time)

Shaking the fermented for 40 seconds is all you need according to WYeast.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
+1 to both of revvy's posts
It sounds like perhaps you didn't areate well, but don't areate now! (Just a suggestion for next time)

Shaking the fermented for 40 seconds is all you need according to WYeast.
It more sounds like he thinks the rate of his airlock has some correlation to amount of fermentation. In his mind the airlock was bubbling too slow so therefore in his mind, he had a bad ferementation. But we know that that is not the case, the rate of bumbling tells us nothing, it's not like 10 bubbles a minute = 5 gravity points or anything....That's why he really doesn't need to DO anything.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Agreed. Nothing to do but wait on this batch. The aeration idea was just a tip that I proposed on a hunch. I think we call all agree that proper areation makes better beer in just about all cases.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
I think we call all agree that proper areation makes better beer in just about all cases.
From Danstar:

Quote:
I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

Quick Reply