Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How quick is Nottingham?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
goose1873
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would leave it alone for a week or 2 then check...even if its done in 2 days it will need some time to clean up....Also the high ferment temp (initially) will make it go faster but also add conditioning time...give it some time. You can check but either way you are going to lid it back up and give it time anyway...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
artyusmc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I know this thread is a little old but my question is this: fermentation isn't done just when the yeast cake falls? I have an ale going started last tuesday I didn't see any yeast cake till today at the bottom is this normal? I intend to leave it alone for another two weeks

Old 12-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
artyusmc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

any help please????

bump de bump

Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Active fermentation may be done but there are some byproducts that happen during active fermentation that the yeast will clean up if given more time. These byproducts give the beer "interesting" flavors but not necessarily the flavors you want. Be patient and let the yeast do its thing.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Active fermentation may be done but there are some byproducts that happen during active fermentation that the yeast will clean up if given more time. These byproducts give the beer "interesting" flavors but not necessarily the flavors you want. Be patient and let the yeast do its thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmc View Post
I know this thread is a little old but my question is this: fermentation isn't done just when the yeast cake falls? I have an ale going started last tuesday I didn't see any yeast cake till today at the bottom is this normal? I intend to leave it alone for another two weeks
What RM-MN said. There are 3 phases to the ferment: 1)Adaptive - yeast adapt to the wort environment, absorb available oxygen, build/adapt cell walls to access the fermentables in the wort. This is the "lag time" when you see nothing happening. 2)Attentuation - yeast explode/convert sugars/krausen forms. This is when you see airlock activity or press on the lid and get "blurps" from the airlock. 3)Conditioning - lots of yeast cells go dormant/krausen falls/yeast cake forms. . .but many yeast cells are still active. Slow conversion of remaining fermentables can occur but mostly early bi-products get consumed. Diacetyl & acetaldehyde are reduced as well.

If you judge completion by krausen, yeast cake, or even FG you'll miss the best part of the ferment - the cleanup phase. Those "active" signs just signal the end of the second phase of fermentation. The third phase turns your beer into better beer. Hope that's of some use to you.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
Bdogg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a good place for this. Nottingham less than 24 hours after pitching:

I pitched last night before bed, and this morning there was a thin krausen. It's gone nuts; was at 72 degrees which is OK by my standards but I thought I better cool it down anyway in case it explodes

Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
artyusmc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for the info. Maybe I'll get a better bottle for Xmas so I can see the yeast phases

Quick Reply