Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How much yeast in my Ball Jar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Rehlgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How much yeast in my Ball Jar?

So this may be any unanswerable question:

I have a ball jar with washed yeast in it. After settling for a few days the yeast is at the 250 ml mark. Is there a non-technical way to guesstimate how many billion cells I have in there? I want to make a starter for a 3 gallon batch of Barleywine with an OG of 1.130 and I am trying not to over pitch.

Maybe I should make this a contest. How many yeasties in the ball jar?!

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Use the MrMalty Calculator slurry tool. For a 3 gallon batch OG of 1.130 you'd probably want about 125ml of that condensed yeast, however, depends on how long you have had it? Maybe the viability has gone down...

Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrates.cfm

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Great information. So assuming this is what I have. I am guess in 10% solids @ 18 billion cells per ml and I need to pitch twice the recommended rate? This yeast is 3rd gen and was harvested this past Sunday. Sound about right?

image-193888893.jpg

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Woodland has been suggesting typical concentration is 1-2 billion per ml, depending on the strain. I think Wyeast says 1.2 billion per ml in their FAQ.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've heard jamil say the default rate for yeast slurry on mrmalty is really fairly accurate...especially looking at what you have there. Looks like you did a killer job rinsing the yeast.

What's your process for rinsing? Just interested to hear how you do it

Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyutahn
I've heard jamil say the default rate for yeast slurry on mrmalty is really fairly accurate...especially looking at what you have there. Looks like you did a killer job rinsing the yeast.

What's your process for rinsing? Just interested to hear how you do it
For this particular batch I had a very large cake as I had pitched a IIPA on top of a APA. I boiled the jars/lids and chilled with the sanitized water. Because of the size of the cake I used (4) 1/2 gallon jars and 4 pint jars. I dumped 1/2 gallon of sanitized water on cake and mixed. Poured off into the (4) 1/2 gallon jars. Let sit ~30 minutes to separate. Then I decanted into the 4 pint jars. Next I decanted the remainder into a 1/2 gallon jar. Fairly simple.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehlgood View Post
For this particular batch I had a very large cake as I had pitched a IIPA on top of a APA. I boiled the jars/lids and chilled with the sterilized water. Because of the size of the cake I used (4) 1/2 gallon jars and 4 pint jars. I dumped 1/2 gallon of sterilized water on cake and mixed. Poured off into the (4) 1/2 gallon jars. Let sit ~30 minutes to separate. Then I decanted into the 4 pint jars. Next I decanted the remainder into a 1/2 gallon jar. Fairly simple.
Good process, and I am being nit-picky, but the word sterilized in your post should be "sanitized" - Unless you used a pressure cooker/canner the water is sanitized, not sterilized. I don't think people have had infection issues with this process, so like I said "nit-picky"

Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd

Good process, and I am being nit-picky, but the word sterilized in your post should be "sanitized" - Unless you used a pressure cooker/canner the water is sanitized, not sterilized. I don't think people have had infection issues with this process, so like I said "nit-picky"
Edited for your reading enjoyment.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehlgood View Post
For this particular batch I had a very large cake as I had pitched a IIPA on top of a APA. I boiled the jars/lids and chilled with the sanitized water. Because of the size of the cake I used (4) 1/2 gallon jars and 4 pint jars. I dumped 1/2 gallon of sanitized water on cake and mixed. Poured off into the (4) 1/2 gallon jars. Let sit ~30 minutes to separate. Then I decanted into the 4 pint jars. Next I decanted the remainder into a 1/2 gallon jar. Fairly simple.
Aren't you worried that your yeast from an IIPA would be stressed out, especially if you are going to use this on a barleywine?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply