Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   How much yeast in my Ball Jar? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/how-much-yeast-my-ball-jar-389866/)

Rehlgood 02-13-2013 08:39 PM

How much yeast in my Ball Jar?
 
So this may be any unanswerable question:

I have a ball jar with washed yeast in it. After settling for a few days the yeast is at the 250 ml mark. Is there a non-technical way to guesstimate how many billion cells I have in there? I want to make a starter for a 3 gallon batch of Barleywine with an OG of 1.130 and I am trying not to over pitch.

Maybe I should make this a contest. How many yeasties in the ball jar?!

Thanks for the help.

brettwasbtd 02-13-2013 08:53 PM

Use the MrMalty Calculator slurry tool. For a 3 gallon batch OG of 1.130 you'd probably want about 125ml of that condensed yeast, however, depends on how long you have had it? Maybe the viability has gone down...

Bsquared 02-13-2013 08:58 PM

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrates.cfm

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Rehlgood 02-13-2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great information. So assuming this is what I have. I am guess in 10% solids @ 18 billion cells per ml and I need to pitch twice the recommended rate? This yeast is 3rd gen and was harvested this past Sunday. Sound about right?

Attachment 100969

tagz 02-14-2013 12:52 AM

Woodland has been suggesting typical concentration is 1-2 billion per ml, depending on the strain. I think Wyeast says 1.2 billion per ml in their FAQ.

thirstyutahn 02-14-2013 02:39 AM

I've heard jamil say the default rate for yeast slurry on mrmalty is really fairly accurate...especially looking at what you have there. Looks like you did a killer job rinsing the yeast.

What's your process for rinsing? Just interested to hear how you do it :)

Rehlgood 02-14-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirstyutahn
I've heard jamil say the default rate for yeast slurry on mrmalty is really fairly accurate...especially looking at what you have there. Looks like you did a killer job rinsing the yeast.

What's your process for rinsing? Just interested to hear how you do it :)

For this particular batch I had a very large cake as I had pitched a IIPA on top of a APA. I boiled the jars/lids and chilled with the sanitized water. Because of the size of the cake I used (4) 1/2 gallon jars and 4 pint jars. I dumped 1/2 gallon of sanitized water on cake and mixed. Poured off into the (4) 1/2 gallon jars. Let sit ~30 minutes to separate. Then I decanted into the 4 pint jars. Next I decanted the remainder into a 1/2 gallon jar. Fairly simple.

brettwasbtd 02-14-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehlgood (Post 4902665)
For this particular batch I had a very large cake as I had pitched a IIPA on top of a APA. I boiled the jars/lids and chilled with the sterilized water. Because of the size of the cake I used (4) 1/2 gallon jars and 4 pint jars. I dumped 1/2 gallon of sterilized water on cake and mixed. Poured off into the (4) 1/2 gallon jars. Let sit ~30 minutes to separate. Then I decanted into the 4 pint jars. Next I decanted the remainder into a 1/2 gallon jar. Fairly simple.

Good process, and I am being nit-picky, but the word sterilized in your post should be "sanitized" - Unless you used a pressure cooker/canner the water is sanitized, not sterilized. I don't think people have had infection issues with this process, so like I said "nit-picky"

Rehlgood 02-14-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettwasbtd

Good process, and I am being nit-picky, but the word sterilized in your post should be "sanitized" - Unless you used a pressure cooker/canner the water is sanitized, not sterilized. I don't think people have had infection issues with this process, so like I said "nit-picky"

Edited for your reading enjoyment.

pabloj13 02-14-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehlgood (Post 4902665)
For this particular batch I had a very large cake as I had pitched a IIPA on top of a APA. I boiled the jars/lids and chilled with the sanitized water. Because of the size of the cake I used (4) 1/2 gallon jars and 4 pint jars. I dumped 1/2 gallon of sanitized water on cake and mixed. Poured off into the (4) 1/2 gallon jars. Let sit ~30 minutes to separate. Then I decanted into the 4 pint jars. Next I decanted the remainder into a 1/2 gallon jar. Fairly simple.

Aren't you worried that your yeast from an IIPA would be stressed out, especially if you are going to use this on a barleywine?


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.