Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How much time till expiry for yeast upon receipt is acceptable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default How much time till expiry for yeast upon receipt is acceptable?

I couldn't find anything on here, but was just wondering in your opinions, what is an acceptable amount of time buffer until the "best by" date on a liquid yeast vile when you receive it? 1 month, 2 months, 3 months?

For example, if you order some yeast online and it's at your door in 5 days, how much time should be expected to be left before the "best by" date is reached? What is a reasonable expectation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
janivar123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

One of the shops i use has best before date on the website and price dropps for every month it ages
Other one gives you double up if it has less then 2 months left

I wouldnt buy liquid yeast from anyone who didnt have one of this guarantees

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You mean like getting a package that has 2 days before it passes it's best by date? Took me 4 steps to get that lager starter big enough, pain in the ****ing ass.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Well, I won't name names, but I just ordered 2 vials from a vendor near me and one day was 50 days out, the other 25 days out. On the 2nd vial, I'm stuck doing a massive multi-step starter and I'm just beginning brewing, so I'm probably gonna screw it up. Just annoying, cause I probably would have done 2 packs, but then I'm paying for shipping and another yeast, so I'm in like 25 bucks in yeast alone.

SwampassJ- That sucks.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janivar123 View Post
One of the shops i use has best before date on the website and price dropps for every month it ages
Other one gives you double up if it has less then 2 months left

I wouldnt buy liquid yeast from anyone who didnt have one of this guarantees
I don't think I'll be getting yeast here anymore. Where do you get yours?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Before ordering I'd check with the store for the policy. Now that you have the yeast why not ask them about it, maybe they will make a price adjustment. I'm lucky in that I can go look, check dates and get my yeast from a high turnover LHBS. All in all, getting a yeast before the best buy date seems ok to me.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

I wouldn't pay full price for something that is expired, but I don't worry about the dates on them. My lhbs just discounts any of the old smack packs and tubes....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

I wouldn't pay full price for something that is expired, but I don't worry about the dates on them. My lhbs just discounts any of the old smack packs and tubes....
Well said, I tend to get worked up over these things quickly. This is only my 3rd starter, but will be my first multi-step starter, and I just wasn't prepared for it and had to use all my DME that I was going to use in my next batch for the 2nd stage of starter. It wouldn't be as bad if I had a LHBS here, but everything I do is online so the time and costs escalate quickly.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In Norway

Sorry...

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 597

The expiration was 25-50 days after you received it or before. I'm confused. If the first, sounds fine to me...

Quick Reply