Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How much time does a yeast starter really need?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
k2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much time does a yeast starter really need?

So I was going to brew on Sunday, but I have to do it tonight after work due to the SWMBO's edict. I was going to make a starter from some washed Kolsh yeast for my Oktoberfest Ale tonight, but now I have to accelerate it. The question is; will a 6 hour old starter provide enough yeast to adequately pitch 5 gal? (Note I have 4 pint mason jars with about 1/2 inch of slurry in each so I could maybe use two?)

If not I can stop at my LHBS on the way home and pick up a pack of dry yeast. In this case does anyone have a recommendation for a clean yeast that is similar to a lager, but ferments around 64 degrees? I suppose I could ask them, but would like to have an idea before I go in.

Thanks!

K2 Brews
President & CEO... also Lead Taster!

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>
Drinking => Doppelweizenbock, Apfelwein, Fuggly Blonde, Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

what is your expected OG? that will tell you if you really need a starter especially with dry yeast

I know that it is good to use it... but basically that is too short to really get full use out of the starter.... if you do that, i would definately recommend not decanting the wort on top and pitch the whole thing as a lot of yeast will still be in suspension and you will be throwing your best and most active yeast away when you poor off the wort.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

but to stress, what is your OG and use Mr Maltys calculator to determine if you need it or not. Unless you are over 1.05 you really dont need it.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I don't know that 6 hours does you much good, really. It certainly won't hurt, and you never know just how quickly that yeast might take off, but I wouldn't count on it. Since you have the extra yeast, you certainly aren't stuck. Pitch two of the jars, and go to bed.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

if you can stop by the LHBS why not just pick up two liquid yeast and directly pitch. Here its a time vs value of money thing, you are out of time and need to get the brew done.Or like Texlaw said pitch a couple of the pints and call it good.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2brew View Post
So I was going to brew on Sunday, but I have to do it tonight after work due to the SWMBO's edict. I was going to make a starter from some washed Kolsh yeast for my Oktoberfest Ale tonight, but now I have to accelerate it. The question is; will a 6 hour old starter provide enough yeast to adequately pitch 5 gal? (Note I have 4 pint mason jars with about 1/2 inch of slurry in each so I could maybe use two?)

If not I can stop at my LHBS on the way home and pick up a pack of dry yeast. In this case does anyone have a recommendation for a clean yeast that is similar to a lager, but ferments around 64 degrees? I suppose I could ask them, but would like to have an idea before I go in.

Thanks!
what are you making? An Ale or a lager?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is an Oktoberfest Ale. The first one I brewed was the best one I have done so far and I used a Kolsh liquid yeast, but the dang thing was like $8.00. So I don't want to spend that much again when I have it sitting in my fridge.

Lets see OG should be around 1.044-1.046 depending on my mini-mash efficiency.

K2 Brews

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>
Drinking => Doppelweizenbock, Apfelwein, Fuggly Blonde, Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen

Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2brew View Post
It is an Oktoberfest Ale. The first one I brewed was the best one I have done so far and I used a Kolsh liquid yeast, but the dang thing was like $8.00. So I don't want to spend that much again when I have it sitting in my fridge.

Lets see OG should be around 1.044-1.046 depending on my mini-mash efficiency.
If you are doing an Otoberfest Ale then I would go with Safale s-04 if you dry . That's what I use . I use Beirmunchers recipe and its always good in fact I have 10 gallons conditioning right now.

if not pitch two of more of the pints

Last edited by springer; 10-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
k2brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you happen to have BM's recipe that you could PM me? I'd like to benchmark against it. I did the same thing for my dunkelweizen and was almost spot on to a Schneiderweisse Dunkelweizen clone recipe.

K2 Brews

On-Deck 1 => Oktoberfest
Primary 1 => Blonde Ale
Secondary 1 =>

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

its right here in the recipe section Octoberfast

Quick Reply