Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to Make a Yeast Starter **Video**

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
BillyBroas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm really glad you like it. I'd seen the ones on YouTube and didn't like that they either left out key info or rambled on about unrelated things. I wanted to make it short but packed with good information. Plus a good camera and lighting go a long ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrewer View Post
This is an EXCELLENT how to video Billy! I like your website too. I am in the process of building a DIY stirplate and can't wait to get after a starter for my brew session next week.
Well thank you! The site is still pretty new (launched in January) but I plan on making it a great homebrewing resource with lots of videos like this one.

A stirplate is one of my next projects. Good luck with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Two small nitpicks, it's easier to add dme if you remove the pot from the heat.
And there aren't always visible signs of fermentation, especially with a stir plate.

Very informative.
Yea when I brew I take it off the heat but with starters I've never had a problem leaving it on. My pot is pretty big though. Good point about the stir plate. I'll add that to the notes section at the bottom. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Nice video, other than the few minor issues already mentioned, I have one suggestion for you: get a bigger flask for a 2L starter. You'll get better gas exchange if you have more surface area, I would use a 3-5L flask. But the video was well made, easily followed, so good work
You know, when I got the 2L flask in the mail a while back I thought "This thing is going to be overkill". It's much bigger than it looks in a picture. Soon I was wishing I got a 5L one. Especially with a doppelbock in the pipline! Cheers

BillyBrew.com - Craft beer and homebrewing blog

Follow me on Twitter right here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Great Video - how long does it last in the fridge?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
knowitman
Recipes 

Thank you very much for the video. I have been trying to research on methods of making starters, and yours seemed to hit on every "good tip" I have read. It just helps everything click after seeing it be done. I will be making a starter for my 2nd batch of beer. If I don't have a flask, a gallon sized growler or so should work just fine as my mini fermentation vessel, right?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Great Video - how long does it last in the fridge?
It will last for a while but the starter will be losing viability the whole time, which really defeats the purpose of it. Try to use it within 1 week, otherwise I would make another starter from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
Thank you very much for the video. I have been trying to research on methods of making starters, and yours seemed to hit on every "good tip" I have read. It just helps everything click after seeing it be done. I will be making a starter for my 2nd batch of beer. If I don't have a flask, a gallon sized growler or so should work just fine as my mini fermentation vessel, right?
Thanks I'm really glad you like the video. As you can tell by the blog, I'm very much a visual person too and learn best when I see things done.

You're totally fine using the growler instead of a flask. Plenty of people do it that way.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
WildKnight
Recipes 

Nice video!

Question though; maybe this is more theoretical than practical. I thought that yeast that have undergone fermentation are not as healthy as those coming out of an aerobic phase. Thus, why we have to aerate our wort so well. This gives the yeast time to grow and become healthier before beginning to ferment. Should we not also do this with our yeast starters? Would it be better to aerate the beaker the whole time and let the yeast consume all the nutrients aerobically? Shouldn't this result in a healthier starter than a starter that has been forced to ferment?

Not picking on anyone, just trying to learn.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #16
knowitman
Recipes 

It is better to aerate the entire time. This can be done by using a magnetic stir plate. In that case, a magnetic "bean" sits inside the flask and is stirred by magnets inside the plate. Since aluminum foil is used rather than an airlock, some gas exchange in and out of the flask occurs without just anything falling into the starter. Occasionally stirring the flask works in a similar manner but with a bit less efficiency in aerating the "wort".

I generally use a 1 gallon growler with the aluminum foil. I then just boil a wort for about 15 minutes to make sure that it is completely sanitized. In my wort, I shoot for a ratio of about 6 ounces (by weight) of DME for every 2 quarts of starter that I make.

For calculating starter size, I use the Mr. Malty calculator with the Starter Type set as Intermittent Shaking instead of Simple Starter. I just try to shake my starter every few hours. The rest of if should be easy to figure out with a bit of exploration of the application.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a IBA fermenting with W007 (Dry Englsih Ale Yeast) I want to wash it and save for another batch of similar style beer.

Can I just wash it? Or do I need to give it the nutrient? Either way, you've motivated me to make a starter.

Excessive Hoppyness Brewing
Tap 1: Falling Leaf Oktoberfest Ale
Tap 2:Kickback Chcoclate Stout
Kegged:Cold Night Winter Warmer
Primary 1: American Amber Ale
Primary 2: American Amber Ale
Primary 3:
Coming up:
Bottled:nothing :(

Excessive Hoppyness Brew Pub
Beer Reviews, and Brewery Updates!
www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com <----NEW REVIEWS ADDED!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruckin78 View Post
I have a IBA fermenting with W007 (Dry Englsih Ale Yeast) I want to wash it and save for another batch of similar style beer.

Can I just wash it? Or do I need to give it the nutrient? Either way, you've motivated me to make a starter.
You can wash it and then when you're ready to use it to make another starter, use the nutrient then.

There's a link in my signature to the yeast washing video.

Glad I could motivate you

Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBroas View Post
You can wash it and then when you're ready to use it to make another starter, use the nutrient then.

There's a link in my signature to the yeast washing video.

Glad I could motivate you
Thanks dude, I've actually been following your page for ahwile, you brother, (I think or cousin) a member of Nub Live turned me onto it.

Excessive Hoppyness Brewing
Tap 1: Falling Leaf Oktoberfest Ale
Tap 2:Kickback Chcoclate Stout
Kegged:Cold Night Winter Warmer
Primary 1: American Amber Ale
Primary 2: American Amber Ale
Primary 3:
Coming up:
Bottled:nothing :(

Excessive Hoppyness Brew Pub
Beer Reviews, and Brewery Updates!
www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com <----NEW REVIEWS ADDED!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Cigar forum? You must mean my uncle Jimmie the Mum. Any friend of the Mum's is a friend of mine.

Thanks for following the blog.

Quick Reply