Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > how long will yeast last in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
pujiman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default how long will yeast last in secondary?

When i transfer to secondary around how much time do i have until the yeast settles out, to the point of not carbing when bottled?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujiman View Post
When i transfer to secondary around how much time do i have until the yeast settles out, to the point of not carbing when bottled?
A Long Time (TM). Unless you filter your beer, you will have yeast in suspension. Even crystal clear looking homebrew has yeast floating around in it.
Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
mrphillips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 15

NEVER! MUUAAHHHAHAHA! sorry about the diabolical laugh, but it really does take a LONG time for ALL the yeast to settle out of solution. I've heard people say that you can cold crash 2 or even 3 times, and still have enough yeast in solution to carbonate in the bottle. I can't speak to the validity of this since I've never cold crashed, but I'd be tempted to say that there will always be yeast in solution...forever and always.

Quick Reply