The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is too long to wait to pitch yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
5B-brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How long is too long to wait to pitch yeast?

Yesterday I brewed my first double batch, a robust porter and an American amber. Using the same yeast for both. I usually make my starter the night before I brew. Didn't get home in time Tuesday night to get it done, so I got up early Wednesday morning and mixed up the starter and got it going on the stir plate. By the time both batches were done the starter wasn't quite ready.

I sealed up both batches into carboys and let them sit overnight while the yeast did it's work in the starter. Pitching it today.

My question is: How long is too long to wait before I pitch yeast? I know that you want the yeast in there doing its thing before other beasties can take over, but what is your window?

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I don't know how long is too long but I do know what you did is fine. I've waited longer than that with no problems.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cubing the wort is very common practice here in Australia - google NO CHILL BREWING.

Wort is not chilled in the kettle but put directly into 20L plastic storage containers which of course have been sanitized. The very hot wort also serves to keep everything sanitary, cubes are filled and it is sealed up so no air in the container. It is not uncommon to store wort like this for months until need for fermentation.
Secret is fill the containers to brim with very hot wort and there is no worry about contamination.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Your asking how long will it take to get infected? In a perfect world, never. In this world something is going to eat that sugar, it's coming like a freight train.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I've gone about 36 hours w/ no problems.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 346

My last dozen batches or so have all been pitched 12 - 18 hrs after flame out. But, they have been in a corny. No problems.

Quick Reply