Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is too long to reuse yeast cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
mosquitocontrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default How long is too long to reuse yeast cake?

I kegged two batches a little over two weeks ago. I had intentions of washing and/or reusing the yeast cake within a few days. Now its nearly 3 weeks later and was wondering if its a bad idea to wash it, or just throw it into a starter and reuse for batches this weekend. Mainly does doing this give you a warm fuzzy feeling? I left about 1/2" of beer on top of the yeast/trub layer. And its been sitting at apartment room temp of around 73F.

Trying to save the $15 in yeast and the 45 minute drive to the brew store (each way).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

With the beer still on top it should be good. Wash it and make a starter to wake it up a bit.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply