The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > how long should I expect primary ferment to take for a 1.060 bock @ 44 F?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
twd000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default how long should I expect primary ferment to take for a 1.060 bock @ 44 F?

I will of course check with a hydrometer when I think I'm close, but this is my first lager and I have no idea what to expect.

I made a 2L starter which was decanted before pitching yeast. Both yeast and wort were at 44 F prior to pitching. I plan on increasing fridge temp to 50 F over the next week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't think it'd be more then a weekish when ferm slowed down (if it got a good start). Don't forget a bock will have a bit more residual sugar and may not ferment as low as an ale so watch it when it gets close!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

it could take up to two weeks even if you had pitched enough yeast (500 billion cells). I've done a few bocks. They take a lot of yeast. the narziss fermentation schedule that you are following really hinges on sufficient yeast count. The old school homebrew lager fermentation schedule is to pitch warmer... in the 60s... and then gradually ramp down the temp. the higher initial temp helps to encourage growth to compensate for the insufficient pitching rate. later on towards the end of fermentation you'd need to raise the temp again to compensate for the diacetyl that you produced during the warm growth period.

I think doing a bock via starters is impractical. I think the more reasonable thing to do is really just make a low OG lager of some kind and repitch your bock wort onto that after it's done. high OG lagers just take ridiculous amounts of yeast. last time I seriously was stepping up my yeast in a carboy with 2 gallons of starter wort and it just seemed like an awful waste of DME.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, I'll be patient - hopefully my puny starter will be enough. There is a good krausen on top today. I used extract so it should be very fermentable

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ya higher gravity lager starters are a small beer really....big pain. It only makes since on a larger scale. It is fun to do it sometimes though like the BIG DOGS. The diacetyl rest is kind of a pain too, it makes me feel like I'm correcting a problem I could have avoided. however it keeps us from doing a several gal starter... just comes down to how you want to make your lagers and maybe how often you brew them. I suppose if you pitched one warm then you could wash the yeast and pitch the 2nd one cold and so on. I believe lager yeast mutates pretty fast though so maybe someone can chime in. I'm thinking you may only want to repitch lager yeast for 3ish generations. I would suggest rinsing your yeast though because you might get some flavor from the trub in your next batch!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

i would say you should expect it to be done sometime after your hydrometer readings show a stable FG for a few days. the thing with beer is it's fermented with these li'l single celled organisms that work on their own timeframe. so it's not really logical to 'expect' anything from them. sure, there's some general timeframes that we go by, but in reality the beer will be done when the yeast is finished converting sugar to alcohol.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What yeast strain did you use? I'm impressed that you have a good krausen given the temperature and amount of yeast you pitched.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
What yeast strain did you use? I'm impressed that you have a good krausen given the temperature and amount of yeast you pitched.
I started with a fresh pouch of Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager

Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twd000 View Post
I started with a fresh pouch of Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager
Thanks--good to know.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Is it considered a krausen since the yeast is fermenting on the bottom not the top?

Quick Reply