Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long to Primary/Secondary Belgian Strong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
mcleanmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How long to Primary/Secondary Belgian Strong

I have had a bit of a problem in the past with being impatient and drinking beers before they peak. I recently brewed an amber belgian strong (1.076 OG) and I would like to age it for quite a while before drinking it. I have begun aging my beers in the fermenters for a while before bottling them and I want to do that. So my question is how long would be a good amount in primary and how long in secondary. I was thinking primary for a month to start and maybe secondary for 4-8 weeks. The yeast is WL Trappist Ale. I am in no hurry to drink it and really want it to condition well.

Thanks!

Next:American Amber, Russian Imperial Stout, Abbey Dubbel, Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanmj
I have had a bit of a problem in the past with being impatient and drinking beers before they peak. I recently brewed an amber belgian strong (1.076 OG) and I would like to age it for quite a while before drinking it. I have begun aging my beers in the fermenters for a while before bottling them and I want to do that. So my question is how long would be a good amount in primary and how long in secondary. I was thinking primary for a month to start and maybe secondary for 4-8 weeks. The yeast is WL Trappist Ale. I am in no hurry to drink it and really want it to condition well.

Thanks!
Difficult to answer because your taste will be different than ours. What you prose might work great but honestly you need to sample your beer along the way.

Give it, perhaps 3weeks primary and sample/taste/evaluate and go from there. If its still too 'hot' or hasn't mellowed than give it more time and bulk condition it for some more time

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply