Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long in Primary with Irish Red?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
lorne17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How long in Primary with Irish Red?

Hello there,

I brewed an Irish Red ale and it's been in the primary fermentor for 3 weeks and 2 days. I probably wont' bottle it until 4 weeks.

Will that be ok? Will it add any off flavors?

Also most the time fermenting it was at about 76-78 degrees F. Is that bad? I had it to 74ish when it was really going, but been at 76-78 since. Our house is stinking hot and that's the basement. Upstairs it's 86! Dang you old homes in Colorado! haha

Thanks,
Lorne

Fermenting:Tres Nieves Milk Stout Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter On Deck:Orange Belgian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually just checked it. It was almost 100F today. The 78 mark on my thermometer on the carboy is just barely blue, so it's probably at ~79F!

Fermenting:Tres Nieves Milk Stout Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter On Deck:Orange Belgian

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dude I hate to say this but autolysis is real, I just had two brews I let go 4 plus weeks turn out bad from it. Get it off the yeast if you can.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Crap, I should have bottled it instead of golfing today! How can you tell if it's bad after I bottle it?

Thanks,
Lorne

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

IMO autolysis is not happening at 4 weeks, or 8 weeks. But be concerned if you wish.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What about the temperature?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

what yeast are you using?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Autolysis is rare on a homebrew scale. It's kind of a myth or an overblown concern propogated by early homebrewers reading books on large scale brewing. It's really only a concern for breweries with large fermenters that create a lot of pressure on the yeast. It would take a few months to happen on a homebrew setup.

Temperature control, however, is VERY important. Fermenting in the high 70s is pretty bad for almost every yeast. Fermenting too warm will give you a lot of weird unpleasant fruity-type esters along with harsh fusel alcohols. These fusels will not only taste very hot and boozey but will also give you more severe hangovers.

I would go ahead and bottle this one up and see how it turns out, but from now on try to keep the temperature in the mid 60s. I put my fermenter in a large bucket and keep it cool with frozen ice packs/water bottles that I exchange a couple times a day. Temperature contol is most important during the active portion of fermentation so like the first 3-5 days or so. After that you don't have to worry too much about it getting warm.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 635 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I ferment most of my brews for 3 weeks then package.
4 weeks + is not a problem
Autolysis is not a problem in homebrewing and if it happens at all it would take many months.
The temperature that you did your initial ferment IMO was too high. After fermentation stops it is not much of a problem.

Look into fermentation temperature control.
I agree with proceeding with this one and see how it turns out. If it is off leave the bottles for a couple of months and try one if still off wait longer.

Get the next batch started.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will bottle this one tomorrow!

As for the yeast, I used: Fermentis Safele US-05.

I will look into getting a large bucket for my carboy. I ferment in a 5 gallon carboy with Fermcap to prevent a lot of beer loss in the blowoff tube. I put a wet towel around it and kept pouring cold water on the towel, but that actually started to mold underneath it (don't worry it wasn't touching the beer). SO I like the idea of a bucket more.

Thanks again!
Lorne

Quick Reply