Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is long enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Subscribed for the "well its fermenting" post in a few days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Subscribed for the "well its fermenting" post in a few days.
Hehehe............boy what I wouldn't give, and I'll take all the ribbing you wish. My son has had a very difficult past 12 months and I had this perfect brew all planned out and you know the rest. I hate it when guys over react.. and here I am. I have surgery planned next week in addition and wanted to get this to secondary, etc before then and so there is no question I am over reacting to most things these days anyway. Go yeasties go!

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
OK. I see I have stirred up the beer gods.

Revvy, I have been brewing since 1986 and have never had a wort sit on yeast more than 30 hours without overt signs of fermentation with or without a starter (I don't lager or do particularly cool ferments which may explain it partially) so I don't care if the beginners forum has six weeks posted as a fermentation time table, my experience has been different so I asked a question. This is a special brew in honor of my son and I don't want it messed up and since it will sit until next December before I will know if something wild got loose in there, I'm a little edgy and was hoping for early, obvious activity.
Guess what, it doesn't matter one riff that you've never experienced it, quite clearly by the SHEER NUMBER of folks who have posted in there, OTHERS HAVE.

People don't make that crap up. We're not saying it to jerk your chains. I learned A LONG TIME AGO, never to compare any fermentation, never to hold any expectations from one brew to another.

I'm TRYING TO HELP YOU BY SHOWING YOU SOMETHING. ME, I would find COMFORT in that info.....

That's why we HAVE THAT STICKY, so folks don't over-react.

Haven't you heard the saying, "There's a first time for everything?" Just MAYE it's your first time.... *shrug*

If you're REALLY concerned, then why the heck haven't you used the ONE TOOL that will tell you what's happening? If you've been brewing since 1986, you would think that perhaps you would have heard of taking a gravity reading? But we suggest that folks take it AFTER the lag time has passed.

If in NORMAL situations yeast can and has taked up to 72 hours, and you underpitched, then it should be expected that it might take 72 hours, dontja think?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If in NORMAL situations yeast can and has take up to 72 hours, and you under pitched, then it should be expected that it might take 72 hours, dontja think?
Very possibly, and I certainly hope this is correct. Sorry if my response annoyed you, I don't feel well and I guess it shows.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is it a clear carboy so you can see if the wort has turned cloudy with yeast?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Is it a clear carboy so you can see if the wort has turned cloudy with yeast?
It's a Morebeer bucket, but I replaced the lid this morning just to make sure it was sealing (should have taken gravity too I guess) and saw no sign of krausen or suspended yeast, just a dark clear wort. I can see in the bottom (the bucket is opaque rather than white) a layer of trub that has settled out and is not being churned up by yeast activity, but maybe tonight.
2013.jpg  

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
It's a Morebeer bucket, but I replaced the lid this morning just to make sure it was sealing (should have taken gravity too I guess) and saw no sign of krausen or suspended yeast, just a dark clear wort. I can see in the bottom (the bucket is opaque rather than white) a layer of trub that has settled out and is not being churned up by yeast activity, but maybe tonight.
Well, you should have a yeast cloud by now. Even if you had some live yeast I'd suspect under pitch. Yeast are pretty hardy and opportunistic in the right conditions.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well the magical 72 hour mark has passed with no signs of fermentation. Probably good at this point as if something took off right now I'd be pretty skeptical. That said I have WLP028 on the stirplate. Had a bad week yeast wise, was going to use Wyeast, but it was a few days out of date and after all this I was not going to chance it. Made the 20 mi. trip the semi LHBS and picked this yeast up today. Will pitch early in the a.m. and hope for the best.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Quick Reply