The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is long enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How long is long enough?

Post below about my pitching ECY07 into a Wee Heavy and the wait for fermentation to begin is now over 40 hours. There is no activity whatsoever. What is the longest time you would give this to start before pitching another yeast to try and salvage a batch with almost $50 in it already? I am not a newbie, but do get nervous when fermentation lags over 24-30 hours. This is the longest I have ever had wort sit with no fermentation signs at all, thus the multiple posts. I have a Wyeast 1728 getting ready to go on the stir plate and am thinking I'll give the wee heavy 50 hours and go to plan B?

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Post below about my pitching ECY07 into a Wee Heavy and the wait for fermentation to begin is now over 40 hours. There is no activity whatsoever. What is the longest time you would give this to start before pitching another yeast to try and salvage a batch with almost $50 in it already? I am not a newbie, but do get nervous when fermentation lags over 24-30 hours. This is the longest I have ever had wort sit with no fermentation signs at all, thus the multiple posts. I have a Wyeast 1728 getting ready to go on the stir plate and am thinking I'll give the wee heavy 50 hours and go to plan B?
If you didn't do a starter with that beer then it's not surprising it's taking so long. Also, verify with a hydrometer since it could be going slow enough at this point that your airlock may not be bubbling (or you didn't see it).
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Please note the sticky at the top of the beginner's forum......Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we're NOT referring to what an airlock does or doesn't do.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
If you didn't do a starter with that beer then it's not surprising it's taking so long. Also, verify with a hydrometer since it could be going slow enough at this point that your airlock may not be bubbling (or you didn't see it).
I agree. I would take a second reading in a couple days if your first is still sitting at the OG before pitching.

EDIT: When you include what Revvy said that should put you at or past the 72 hrs mark.

Up Next: Pale Ale once things slow down on the weekends.
Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Bottled: Vanilla Stout (5/18/14), Coffee Stout (6/22/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Blend of 3 SMaSH's (Bottled Experiment)

Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it were mine and i had another yeast on hand that was the same style, I'd pitch it. It would also give you a chance to check the seal on your fermenter and a visual look to ensure fermentation hasn't began. I've never had one ferment without the airlock bubbling, but a hydrometer/refractometer reading and temp check might ease the anxiety.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Please note the sticky at the top of the beginner's forum......Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we're NOT referring to what an airlock does or doesn't do.
Quote:
OK. I see I have stirred up the beer gods.

Revvy, I have been brewing since 1986 and have never had a wort sit on yeast more than 30 hours without overt signs of fermentation with or without a starter (I don't lager or do particularly cool ferments which may explain it partially) so I don't care if the beginners forum has six weeks posted as a fermentation time table, my experience has been different so I asked a question. This is a special brew in honor of my son and I don't want it messed up and since it will sit until next December before I will know if something wild got loose in there, I'm a little edgy and was hoping for early, obvious activity.

afr0byte, that's what I would have thought except ECY yeasts supposedly are between 3-400 billion cell counts, so I thought it might show early signs rather than late ones. I'll sit on this one against my better judgement, but thanks for your input.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);

Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy2133 View Post
I agree. I would take a second reading in a couple days if your first is still sitting at the OG before pitching.

EDIT: When you include what Revvy said that should put you at or past the 72 hrs mark.
That is what I plan on doing. Thanks.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfamilydsm View Post
If it were mine and i had another yeast on hand that was the same style, I'd pitch it. It would also give you a chance to check the seal on your fermenter and a visual look to ensure fermentation hasn't began. I've never had one ferment without the airlock bubbling, but a hydrometer/refractometer reading and temp check might ease the anxiety.
That is my inclination as well, but I will bow to the collective wisdom and wait 72 hours before doing so. Thanks also.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
OK. I see I have stirred up the beer gods.

Revvy, I have been brewing since 1986 and have never had a wort sit on yeast more than 30 hours without overt signs of fermentation with or without a starter (I don't lager or do particularly cool ferments which may explain it partially) so I don't care if the beginners forum has six weeks posted as a fermentation time table, my experience has been different so I asked a question.

afr0byte, that's what I would have thought except ECY yeasts supposedly are between 3-400 million cell counts, so I thought it might show early signs rather than late ones. I'll sit on this one against my better judgement.
I hope you mean 3-400 billion cell counts? A normal white labs vial has about 100 billion cells (fresh). If you actually mean 3-400 million then you way under pitched.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I hope you mean 3-400 billion cell counts? A normal white labs vial has about 100 billion cells (fresh). If you actually mean 3-400 million then you way under pitched.
Oops , my mistake, corrected now, thanks.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Quick Reply