The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long to leave IPA in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
LarsonLE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How long to leave IPA in primary?

Hello everyone! I am new to the hobby of home brewing, but I am extremely interested and can see this becoming a big part of my life.

I just brewed my first batch of beer (an IPA), and it has been exactly 6-7 days since my beer has been in my primary fermenting container. I've been reading some other threads regarding the length of time that is recommended when fermenting. About 48 hours ago, my beer stopped actively fermenting (there are no more bubbles). If I left my beer in there for another week, do you think it would be a good time to start bottling? Also, I haven't opened up the container to look inside, but I am kind of curious to see what is going on in there and to see what the current SG reading is, would it be fine to look inside or would I risk contaminating my beer?

Thanks,
Larson

Last edited by LarsonLE; 01-22-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

well it is recommended to let your beer sit for 2-3 weeks before bottling. but if your in a hurry to taste your brew you can bottle as soon as the SG stops falling. of course opening the bucket will risk contamination. but if your good about the sanitation of anything you put in the beer you will be ok.

and just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean that it is done fermenting. the CO2 could be escaping from around the lid of the bucket which is common and nothing to worry about.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It's your first brew, open it up and look, taste and take a reading. It is a learning experience and you should be familiar with what the wort looks like after 6 days. I usually don't test my gravity for 10-14 days, but the first time I brewed I tested the darn thing every other day out of pure curiosity.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
danweasel
Recipes 

Good answer. I second samc.

PRIMARY: The prime directive
SECONDARY: My wife says it's her.

The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does.
-Shane MacGowan

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
ercscotty
Recipes 

Everyone will tell you something different. For instance, I'm brewing an IPA myself, but I'm going to be leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks. This allows for the yeast to do it's job and clean up after its self. I'll then be moving the beer into a secondary bottling bucket. Leave it set for a week and then bottle or keg. Be patient. For your own self, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Best way to know if fermentation is complete is to check SG against your OG three days in a row. However this means you'll be losing some brew. At lease you'll get to see the color etc. If you want to see your beer as it's fermenting, get yourself a 5 or 6 gallon carboy for your primary.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
jer204
Recipes 

I'm constantly making IPAs for the wife. 10-14 days in the primary and 10 in a secondary for dryhopping. I found this time frame works quite well.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Jakeedaman21
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Honestly, I used to have the same problem with wanting to mess with my brews. Its best to simply let it sit there for a minimum of 3 weeks, then go ahead and bottle. Even if there arnt any bubbles in the airlock, the yeast is still doing work cleaning up and making your beer better. Don't rush things, RDWHAHB

On Deck: Air Power Ale
Primary: Snappy Fellow
On Tap:
Gallons Made: 113.5

Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The min is 3 days in a row at the same SG. With an IPA you can go longer.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
dmcoates
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

With big beers like an IPA i like to give them 4 weeks in primary. Then keg or bottle and give another 4 weeks. I have found it takes about 8 weeks for an IPA to be really good

Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for the all of the advice everyone. I will probably be leaving my IPA in the primary for 2.5-3 weeks, then bottle for another 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply