Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long do I have to bring down temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1288 View Post
Will the water in the tub be similar in temperature to the wort in the fermenter?
The water bath serves to temper the temperature swings caused by the increases from active fermentation and the decreases from the environment. They will not be the same. The fermenter will almost always be warmer. One quick way to drop the temps is to put the fermenter on a concrete basement floor. The concrete serves as a heat sink and pulls heat out of the fermenter. If you want a good idea of where your temps are, try inserting a sanitized thermometer into the top of the bucket and take a reading periodically.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The water in the tub should be within a few degrees of the internal temp of the fermenter. Also, the stick on thermometers are rendered useless when submerged.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
zach1288
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraphtBier View Post
The water in the tub should be within a few degrees of the internal temp of the fermenter. Also, the stick on thermometers are rendered useless when submerged.
You are correct, the wort was 65F and the bath water was 64F.

Quick Reply