New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to increase my ABV




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
nztayls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How to increase my ABV

So,...

My first go at BIAB and I think I have a problem. I am doing a Belgian Wit, and my SG was not what it should be (1.034). Now it appears that my fermentation has ground to a halt at 1.014, giving me a ABV of about 2.6%,...not exactly what I was after.

Is there anyway I can save this?, could I possibly do a secondary fermentation by adding more sugar (like Belgian Candi) to get the fermentation going again?, or is this a lost cause.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!



__________________

Nztayls
Wellington, New Zealand (just go east after you hit Australia)
Currently Drinking: White House Honey Ale, Orval Clone, Windhoek Special Clone
Primary: Nil
Secondary:Windhoek Special Clone
Conditioning:L'Enfer du Nord Wit

nztayls is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
tally350z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,028
Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You can add regular table sugar if you like. It will increase the ABV, but it will also thin the body and dry it out.



__________________
Toasting Tortoise Brewery
Primary - , Little Wee Stout, Burton IPA
Secondary - Imperial Stout w/ Chiles, SOUR TORTOISE
Kegged
- Chocolate Milky Stout, Bevarian Hefe
, Nut Brown Ale, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port

North Florida Brewers League
tally350z is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 502
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nztayls View Post
So,...

My first go at BIAB and I think I have a problem. I am doing a Belgian Wit, and my SG was not what it should be (1.034). Now it appears that my fermentation has ground to a halt at 1.014, giving me a ABV of about 2.6%,...not exactly what I was after.

Is there anyway I can save this?, could I possibly do a secondary fermentation by adding more sugar (like Belgian Candi) to get the fermentation going again?, or is this a lost cause.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!
boil a lb of DME into a quart or two of water, cool and add to your fermentor... voila more fermentables
__________________
wormraper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
DonLiguori
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 93
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Agreed. Belgian candi is a nice addition for bigger beers with more body or character, but since your BIAB came in a pretty thin at the start, it wouldn't be a great idea to dry it out even further. It's far too light for regular table sugar, you'll get a strong presence of the cidery flavor you want to avoid. Your best bet is DME or, if you must just sugar, use sugar with something to it, like brown sugar or dark candi.

__________________
DonLiguori is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
nztayls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
boil a lb of DME into a quart or two of water, cool and add to your fermentor... voila more fermentables
So would the best bet be to use Wheat DME, given its a wheat beer, or can I just get away with a Light DME?. Off to the LHBS soon, so can get whatever is most appropriate.
__________________

Nztayls
Wellington, New Zealand (just go east after you hit Australia)
Currently Drinking: White House Honey Ale, Orval Clone, Windhoek Special Clone
Primary: Nil
Secondary:Windhoek Special Clone
Conditioning:L'Enfer du Nord Wit

nztayls is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 502
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nztayls View Post
So would the best bet be to use Wheat DME, given its a wheat beer, or can I just get away with a Light DME?. Off to the LHBS soon, so can get whatever is most appropriate.
if it's a wheat beer, use wheat DME , it will be closer to style


__________________
wormraper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SG Increase? billy_m Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-21-2012 04:41 PM
how to increase my OG now? mcarb General Beer Discussion 4 11-02-2011 02:22 AM
Increase ABV captflyer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 10-02-2011 02:58 AM
Increase ABV Shamrock28 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 05-14-2009 09:44 PM
How to increase to 5 GAL? Ironman2 Cider Forum 4 07-28-2006 09:33 PM