Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How important is temperature control after fermentation slows?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
robertwa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How important is temperature control after fermentation slows?

I use my kegerator for both serving and fermenting. Obviously I can't do both at once. I have a 6 day old ale @65 deg which has slowed or probably finished, and am wondering if there would be ill effects in moving it out to garage temps so I can cool down my finished kegs for drinking. Is temp control only important for the first few days of fermentation?

I learned my lesson about fermentation temps last year when my batches turned nasty over the summer months.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Temps aren't as critical, but I still try not to let post fermenting temps go much over 70.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My general rule of thumb is that after the krausen has fallen, the temperature should probably be a bit warmer than the initial fermentation. Yeast seem to clean up faster and stay in solution longer. When you're ready to clear the beer, then cool it down some, but otherwise it's good to go. You can also go by the hydrometer measurement, as long as it's below 1.020, there doesn't seem to be significant flavor difference. Just don't make big jumps because it'll make everything take longer.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've aged beer as high as 80F with no ill effect (100F was bad. ) I use a chest freezer to ferment and it has made my beers better and any other piece of equipment. My beers ferment from the low temp of the yeast and ramp up slowly during fermentation. Generally after a week I don't worry much about temps for ales.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 09-04-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I've aged beer as high as 80F with no ill effect (100F was bad. ) I use a chest freezer to ferment and it has made my beers better and any other piece of equipment. My beers ferment from the low temp of the yeast and ramp up slowly during fermentation. Generally after a week I don't worry much about temps for ales.
1+

I use my chest freezer until fermentation is complete or nearly so and usually rack to secondary and leave at room temp until I am ready to keg. Keeps my chest which will only hold two primaries free.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am just finishing the 3 week primary fermentation of my first batch (Blonde ale), which never dipped below 73F. At it's peak, it even got to 79F and stayed there a couple of days (that's when I put it in the bathtub with water). Tonight I took my first taste with the hydro sample, and it was amazing. With ales, to me at least, it's safe to presume that the 70s are a safe temperature.

For future brews, though, I already have 1L water bottles (6 of them) that I'll be dropping in the tub for the first week on a daily basis, just to keep it more within range of optimal fermentation.

Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
robertwa
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Awesome thanks for all the replys.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
brendanb
Recipes 

searched and found this thread.

i'm having a similar problem. i have a swamp cooler system setup but i just can't rotate the bottles fast enough to keep the temp down. it's at around 78F right now (after about 14 days of 62-65F) and the initial fermentation is done.

i was going to try and leave it in primary for another 7 days and rack to keg, but do you guys think i should just rack it now? i don't want this heat to ruin it.

...on weed

Quick Reply