Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How important is the amount of air space in a secondary container?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
peoplesbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How important is the amount of air space in a secondary container?

I have a 5 gal carboy with a pale ale that I just racked into secondary. I lost about 0.5-1 gal of my 5 gal wort in transfer due to some malfunctions. I was told that having too much air in the carboy during secondary can lead to increased aeration and off-flavors. So a few questions:

- How important is it that I fix this?
- Should I put another gallon of water with some DME to save the batch and continue secondary?
- Or should I just bottle right away?

It's probably important to note that's it's only been in secondary for about a day. And if the answer is putting some water and DME in, how much DME should I dissolve? A full 1lb bag?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You want as little headspace as possible in secondary...ideally you want it nearly up the neck. You really don't want to add more fermentables or water, which will affect the recipe...an old winemakers trick is to sanitize glass marbles and add them carefully to the carboy which will raise the liquid level up. You can get them ant any art supply or dollar stores, and many homebrewshops and online carry them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Glass marbles to reduce air in secondary

According to this link from Morewine, 3 pounds of marbles will displace 1 liter. But make sure you boil them AND santize them, you want to make sure they are free of anything, including oils from skin.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
peoplesbrewing
Recipes 

Interesting, any idea how many will be needed for 1-1.5 gal of displacement?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I seldom use a secondary 'cuz I've lost all my marbles.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

you might be OK if you won't wait too long. what is the reason you're using a secondary? if it's to clarify, that should mostly be done in a few days. cooling the carboy by putting it in a fridge or in a tub with ice water will speed up clarification. bottle as soon as you can.

as revvy suggested, adding DME and water will throw off you recipe. your hops will be out of balance, for one.

there are diverging opinions on the need for secondary. some people swear by it and use it religiously. others skip secondary and do everything in primary. if you have good, healthy yeast then leaving your beer in there for a month should show no ill effects. i've done 5 weeks in primary with no off-flavors. complications like the one you're currently experiencing is precisely why i don't use a secondary unless i really need to.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplesbrewing View Post
Interesting, any idea how many will be needed for 1-1.5 gal of displacement?
How many liters are in a gallon? (Roughly) That would tell you how much you need.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 83

A liter is a big quart, so 12-18 lbs of marbles.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Dump in a pint of warm seltzer. The CO2 will come out almost intantly and fill a good portion of the airspace. Put on an airlock or a ballon and hope for the best.

bosco

Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
peoplesbrewing
Recipes 

I just decided to bottle early. I'm not too worried about clarification as this is my first batch and was more of a test and learning experience. And I'd also like to stay away from buy 10-15 lbs of marbles for a batch like this! I'll just hedge my bets and make note for the future. But thank you all for the advice. This is my first week on Homebrew Talk and it's a great community and resource.

Quick Reply