New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How do you know when you've added enough oxygen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
onthedot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How do you know when you've added enough oxygen?

I don't have a dissolved O2 meter.
I have the Williams aeration system (no flow gauge).

Instructions say to aerate for 1 minute, but it doesn't say what the flow should be set it.

I know that I don't want tons of bubbles breaking the surface because that means I'm wasting oxygen. I've noticed the faster I swirl the wand around while aerating, the higher flow rate I can get away with-without breaking the surface---BUT the surface starts to bubble and foam up. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

With no gauge/meter on that regulator, I had the same question. I also found it went from zero to full with nothing between. Not what I wanted. So I changed over to a regulator with a flow meter and a welding O2 tank (smallest you can get). Now I KNOW how much O2 I'm pushing into the wort. Next step, for me (after xmas) is to get a dissolved O2 meter so that I can start testing the wort after oxygenating it. I plan to build up either a spreadsheet or database of the O2 flow rates, time, and dissolved O2 readings.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

30 seconds for normal beers and a minute for anything over 1.070. Set the flow rate to just more than open. The flow rate does change with this o2 kit, its not just full blast, at least mine does it like this.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

http://www.byo.com/stories/wizard/article/section/121-mr-wizard/147-are-welding-oxygen-canisters-safe-for-homebrewing-aeration

An article with some formulas for figuring out how much o2 you need

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Except it doesn't go into any details as to figure out how much O2 is actually needed for your batch. It assumes that 8ppm is what you need, but doesn't factor in the OG of the batch and how it can actually have difficulty taking O2 into solution. I believe the Yeast book goes into it better (and is newer).

Also, good luck finding an O2 regulator flow meter that has that fine of graduations or doesn't go to 4LpM or above for it's top end. Many go to either 8LpM or 15LpM. Plus, the Yeast book outlines how if you do infuse more O2 than the yeast needs, by the time the get around to using it (for most people) a good amount has already escaped from the wort.

Personally, I've not had any negative effects from using higher LpM numbers (typically 1-1.5LpM for moderate OG batches, running for 60-90 seconds through the 2 micron stone).

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

I just got yeast from the library and studies it has in it basically say 9ppm and 14ppm end up at the same place. It is really hard to over oxygenate.

I think its too costly to measure dissolved oxygen, the book says most breweries don't.

Better to have more than not enough.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

I've actually got my eye on this dissolved O2 meter. Probably going to order it up after the holiday. Prices on the units have been slowly coming down over the past 6-12 months since I started looking. So it's almost to the point where I can stomach the cost. It will be easier if I sell a lens I'm not using, or maybe that spare tripod I really don't need. Either one will sell for more than that meter (the lens is worth about 25x what the meter costs, the tripod about 4x).

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You can shake the fermenter to dissolve more oxygen after you have used the wand. It's just like you used to do it only the headspace is filled with more oxygen.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I whip the wort with a wire whisk until my arm gets tired and then pitch the yeast

Seriously, is there real or persieved value in using pure O2 vs. a method as I use?

Toy4Rick

If I can't ride it... 1997 Goldwing
If I can't shoot it... PX4 Storm, Browning Buckmark, S&W 357, Ruger 10-22
or drink it... my Homebrew

Why bother

Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
I whip the wort with a wire whisk until my arm gets tired and then pitch the yeast

Seriously, is there real or persieved value in using pure O2 vs. a method as I use?

Toy4Rick
Once you need more than 8ppm of O2 there is, in a big way. You'll never get more than 8ppm O2 in the wort no matter how long, or hard, you whip it (even if you whip it good). Brew something of higher OG, where more than 8ppm is needed/wanted, and you're not going to be able to provide it with the whip method (or any using atmospheric O2 concentrations).

Brew a bigger beer where it's advisable to oxygenate it again after 12-18 hours and you'll have more issues with the whip method. Not so with a pure O2 infusion via an air stone.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply