Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How do I use yeast I have harvested???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
MikeBrnDmgd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do I use yeast I have harvested???

Happy New Year! I harvested 3 jars of yeast from my last batch IPA. I plan to do,a yeast starter tomorrow,in my beaker. What part of the yeast jar do I add to the wort? Do I add whole jar after shaking? Am I trying to use the top or bottom? Just need some advice. Thanks

Mike

If you don't believe in yourself, who will?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here is what I do:
Take yeast out of fridge, decant liquid on top of yeast, let warm up for couple hours, make wort, dump in yeast.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Assuming you have completed a sanitary capture and rinsing of still-active yeasts to end up with your 3 jars and the jars will rest until tomorrow, you can decant the liquid off the top and simply pour in the yeast cake. No reason to shake and add extra water. I guess it wouldn't hurt either, but it is diluting your starter wort (even if only slightly).

Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

I added wort to mine to mix up then dump into the wort after aerating, looking at the slurry i had it was hard to determine what the trub and yeast was.Although i have just read after pourning off the liquid,pour into the fermenter leaving the stuff sticking at the bottom, behind.
After my first try and a successful ferment, i noticed a pretty large amount of trub on my next batch though,did i overpitch? I only used about 2 oz slurry for a 1.7 gal batch.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The yeast is the white layer at the top of the settled solids.

Read about washing yeast to find out how to get just the yeast.

For now: Pour off the liquid, and use the rest. If it is harvested less than a month, I just go ahead and straight pitch without a starter. I make a starter if it is over a month. Some folks here would say to make a starter if it is over a week.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Im planning on brewing and bottleing during the boil, that worked out better than i thought for a brew day. Then just using the slurry and saving some for my next batch in a week.Its a preety sweet process for reusing liquid yeast! Im already accounting for at least 5 batches with a 9$ vial of liquid yeast. So much for liquid=expensive.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Grizzlybrew

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
did i overpitch? I only used about 2 oz slurry for a 1.7 gal batch.
That was probably enough slurry for a 5 gallon batch!!! Read up on Jamil's Yeast Calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Im planning on brewing and bottleing during the boil, that worked out better than i thought for a brew day. Then just using the slurry and saving some for my next batch in a week.Its a preety sweet process for reusing liquid yeast! Im already accounting for at least 5 batches with a 9$ vial of liquid yeast. So much for liquid=expensive.
I'm not sure I completely understand your process here, but at the least, you should rinse the yeast between fermentations. Also, without rigorous control over which yeasts are re-pitched, you'll probably start to notice changes in fermentation & flavor profiles within a few more generations I would suspect.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If it's been in the fridge for any length of time, I treat it like any jar or smackpack of liquid yeast and make a starter for it. I usually decant off most of the liquid on top, the pitch it into a starter a day or so ahead of time. And if I think I need it I'll feed it just like any other liquid yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybrew View Post
That was probably enough slurry for a 5 gallon batch!!! Read up on Jamil's Yeast Calculator.

I'm not sure I completely understand your process here, but at the least, you should rinse the yeast between fermentations. Also, without rigorous control over which yeasts are re-pitched, you'll probably start to notice changes in fermentation & flavor profiles within a few more generations I would suspect.
Yeah but isnt slurry yeast plus trub. So then it wouldnt have been overpitching? Since i had 2 oz of yeast/trub slurry? I also was going to wash it, i did put the slurry in preboiled/cooled water and it settled so fast all i think i would have got was water anyway,I dont see any separate color differnece in the two oz i scooped up,its been in the fridge for my next batch in a sealed ball jar.
I dont see what you mean by rigourous control over which yeast are pitched.Its the same yeast im using.Im aware of 2nd 3rd and so on generations. Im also using the slurry within a week or that day or the next,and as far as i have read i could have just capped up the slurry with no water and used it within a week.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvy View Post
if it's been in the fridge for any length of time, i treat it like any jar or smackpack of liquid yeast and make a starter for it. I usually decant off most of the liquid on top, the pitch it into a starter a day or so ahead of time. And if i think i need it i'll feed it just like any other liquid yeast.
^^^^this^^^^
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply