The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How Do I Achieve a Lower Final Gravity with California Common Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
csboehm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Temperature deviation at freezing isn't always a good indicator of temperature deviation at mash temps. I measures the compensation factors for a new thermometer recently and it measured 1 degree high at freezing and 2 degrees high at boiling. You might want to measure them at boiling to make sure it all follows what you expect. If you want to get even closer you can interpolate the correction factors.
I checked them both at room temperature after leaving both on the counter side by side last night, and I was starting to see what you mention here. The there is still a variance, but the gap has closed a bit. I'll check them both at boiling temps this evening. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
csboehm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The F.G. of this batch is 1.015. Not quite as low as I was shooting for, but the flavor and body is nice in the sample I took. I'm still trying to work out possible thermometer calibration issues I ran into, so the mash temperature may have been a bit higher than intended. Not perfectly within spec for the style, but darn close. Regardless, it will certainly be plenty drinkable, and it was a good learning experience. Thanks all for your help.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
jdavisesq
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I also missed the ideal gravity range and hit 1.017 (was stuck at 1.020 so better then nothing). I was doomed after having unexpectedly high efficiency in the mash giving me a 1.061 OG instead of target of 1.054. Bottom line is you can only squeeze so much attenuation from the low attenuating California Lager yeast.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
csboehm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

72% attenuation sounds like a solid effort from this yeast. Like you said, the high OG messed you up from the start. Regardless, I'm sure it will still be plenty drinkable.

I'm still hopeful that I will hit it next time once I sort out my thermometer issues. I had higher then expected efficiency as well, but a slower boil off in the cold weather offset that nicely.

Quick Reply