Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How can I make my yeast starter last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
mcjake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How can I make my yeast starter last?

So I optomisticly made a yeast starter for some pacman yeast that was due to expire at the end of the month. Now I have to travel for work and I'm worried I wont time to brew. The starter is currently 3 days old and I would need to stretch it out for another two weeks. What can I do to make it survive? Add more wort? Cold crash it and leave it in the fridge? Both?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Throw it in the fridge, and then the day before or the morning of brew day, pour off the spent wort, add a little fresh wort to wake up the yeast and get them going again. Then just pitch the whole thing.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

RDWHAHB, two weeks is nothing. Just cover it tightly without sealing, say with a balloon, and stick it in the fridge. Optionally, wake it back up with a little fresh wort at the beginning of brewday. After two MONTHS, you would definitely want to wake it....

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm in the same position. I don't remember when I harvested my pacman yeast, but I made a large starter from it and just stuck it in the fridge. Mainly this was due to a sulfurous odor that I was getting from the yeast so I didn't want to waste potentially 5 gallons of beer by using it.

Still, I can't bring myself to just throw it away,so there it sits, staring at me from the back of the fridge. I might end up using it to ferment a smaller 2.5-3 gallon batch and see how it does.

At any rate, what I was planning on doing was just adding some starter wort to it to wake it up a day or 2 before I pitched it; that way, the yeast would be ready to go and not sleepy from being in the fridge for so long.

Quick Reply