Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How to calculate multi starter for slurry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
vanwolfhausen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to calculate multi starter for slurry?

Doing multi step starters with yeast packs has helped me alot. But, I would like to know how to do with slurry? I have month old US-05 and am gonna brew 10gallon batch next weekend. I only have 300mls and need almost 600mls slurry to make it work. I was going to guess and do a 1qt starter then 4 days later do a 3 qt starter and figured that would suffice? Anyone help me with this one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been asking this question and can't really get a straight answer. I just play with the yeast calculator until I get some sort of logic that works in my head and then I go for it.

I'm thinking you may be able to go straight to a 3L starter. Put it this way: with an average gravity beer (1.050-1.060) and a yeast packet with "average age" (let's say a month old), you generally need to almost double the amount of yeast. Usually this means making a 1-2L starter. Your stats sound about the same, so I'd say you need to make a 3-4L starter with the yeast you have. Forget the step up.

Here's a thought process that might help: It sounds like your yeast is slightly older (a month or more?) so the calculator is spitting out 300mL for each batch. Remember, though, if you make a starter, you get to reset the viability back to 90-100%. So check to see how many mL you need of yeast if it were freshest. That's how much should be on the bottom of your flask after you make the starter.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I can run this through with you.

You're saying you need 600mL of month old slurry which I'm assuming you calculated from MrMalty's Pitching Rate Calculator (PRC for short). Just so I could use some numbers, I'm assuming you plugged into the slurry option: 10 gallons of a 1.088 Ale with month old slurry. That gives 597 Billion cells needed or 597 mL of your 46% viable month old slurry.

If you play with the numbers in the PRC, you find that when your 300mL of slurry was 100% viable, it had 652 Billion cells. You only have 46% of that which is 300 Billion cells.

Go to the Liquid Yeast tab and enter 300% for viability (since a 100% viable tube has 100 billion cells on average). Enter your other numbers (1.088, 10 gallons) and make sure the "# Vials or packs needed with starter" shows 1 and you get a 2.11 Liter starter required.

Drinking: Sterling IPA, Carrot Blossom Cedar Aged Mead, RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, "Brett" Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy
People Like This 
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're my hero... I KNEW there had to be a way to use the calc to figure this out.

I'm sending you all my beer in thanks. It's in the mail.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I'll PM you my address

Drinking: Sterling IPA, Carrot Blossom Cedar Aged Mead, RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, "Brett" Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
vanwolfhausen
Recipes 

That is great!! Thanks

Quick Reply