Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > House Yeast Strains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS2K View Post
Another thought. Since you can get WLP002, 005 and 007 at anytime, a good one to pick up for harvesting and keeping is WLP006 Bedford. It is only available July/August, so keeping some back allows you to have "strawberries in winter". I have really liked the "session" beers I have made from this strain. Here are WL's notes:

WLP006 Bedford British
Ferments dry and flocculates very well. Produces a distinctive ester profile. Good choice for most English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 72-80%
Flocculation: High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium
I'm currently tasting side by side samples of a premium bitter (Jamil's from BCS) that I split a 10 gallon batch between 002 and 005. I love, love, love 002 and wanted to do a comparison with 005.

To me, the 005 is a touch drier and a little more estery. I pick up a very light malt flavor on the finish of the 002 that I really like. I listened to Jamil's English pale ale show before brewing this and he scared me to death about over hopping. As a result, I took a bit lighter hand on this beer than I had intended. I wound up right below 30 IBU. With the flavor profile of the 002, I am considering brewing this again, bypassing the 005 and using the 002 with about 5 more IBU. I think that would nail what I am looking for from this yeast.

But I just saw the Bedford is slated for next month and I was planning on buying a couple vials, growing a monster starter, brewing with part and storing the rest.

I am on a British beer kick and intend to spend the foreseeable future trying to dial in my bitter, mild and brown ales. I cut my teeth on the 002 (because I am a Jamil drone ). To date, I have tried 002, 005, notty, s-05 and Windsor. I keep coming back to 002 because I love the flavor profile and it performs like a champ for me if I treat it right (pitch 2F below ferm temp, free rise to ferm temp, then ramp 2-3F after 72-96 hours). I get 75-77% AA with it reliably and I get a great balance of malty and bitter. With that fermentation schedule it leaves zero diacetyl.

My question is this. How does 006 stack up to 002 in the flavor and aroma departments? To date, I have not been able to get the same depth from those other yeasts that I seem to get from 002. The 002 seems to have a little bit of everything. English esters but still quite clean. The hops show up but they share the stage with the malt, especially if you feed it a wort made from mostly if not all British malt.

I'll probably do at least a side by side with 002 and 006 when the Bedford is released. But if you've used them both in a recipe you know well, I would love to hear some more about your impressions of the 2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #22
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
My question is this. How does 006 stack up to 002 in the flavor and aroma departments?
First, wlp006 is a great yeast. I think it is the best yeast out there for English bitters, bar-none, and it is also good for other English (hoppy and malty) styles too. Compared to the Fullers yeast, Bedford tends to be a bit cleaner and more neutral in character, although what really makes it is shine is that it is extremely well balanced. Whereas wlp002 mostly highlights the malt and yeast flavors, wlp006 lets the hops and malt shine beautifully, while still providing some of those "English" esters that people look for. Also, depending on how you ferment it, you can get a similar character to wlp002 or something more along the lines of wlp007.

However, one thing that makes this yeast unique among most English yeasts, is that it can produce some slight, sulfur-y aromas (often perceived as dirty socks, sweaty). These aromas are often noticeable when the beer is very young, and in my experience, completely fade after a week or two of conditioning. Temperature, 02, and pitch rate seem to have little effect on this character. Like wlp005, the Bedford yeast can be somewhat difficult to handle, although it makes a really wonderful beer when treated well.

It is the only yeast I bother keeping around all year.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

My newest house strain is Conan harvested from Heady Topper. I've made a few IPA's with it along with an amber. I'm thinking about fermenting a stout with it soon to see how it comes out.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #24
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

On the English side, 1028 and 1318 are both very versatile, very easy to work with, and not too crazy in terms of flavors they put out. They're both a bit restrained, but much more interesting that your typical American ale yeast.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply