New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > House Yeast Strains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
How does Nottingham do?
I use Nottingham when I want extremely dry and/or extremely clean beers. It usually flocs out really well also.

The reason I use it so much is it works great in lager-style beers where a clean profile is ideal, but it can also be used at higher temps for a lot of other applications. I'm currently fermenting a Rauchbier that I pitched at 52F and it's chugging along nicely at 57F. Try doing that w/ many other ale strains!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #12
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I liked the WLP 001 I've been using. Isn't that the same strain as US-05?
For the most part, yes. They aren't identical but it's really really really close IMO.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #13
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

I use US 05 more than any other yeast. I have a tendancy to brew on a whim, and it's nice to just pull a pack out of the fridge instead of having to build a starter in advance. I do still use a lot of liquid yeast, though.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Agreed. US-05 is great to have around as a last minute yeast.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've been using WLP013 for English style beers lately, and been loving it. It's pretty versatile as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
EDS2K
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alane1 View Post
I mostly use WLP002 but have some 005 what are the major differences?
From the makers themselves:

WLP002 English Ale Yeast
A classic ESB strain from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and English style stouts. This yeast will leave a beer very clear, and will leave some residual sweetness.
Attenuation: 63-70%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP005 British Ale Yeast
This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002. Like most English strains, this yeast produces malty beers. Excellent for all English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 67-74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
EDS2K
Recipes 

Another thought. Since you can get WLP002, 005 and 007 at anytime, a good one to pick up for harvesting and keeping is WLP006 Bedford. It is only available July/August, so keeping some back allows you to have "strawberries in winter". I have really liked the "session" beers I have made from this strain. Here are WL's notes:

WLP006 Bedford British
Ferments dry and flocculates very well. Produces a distinctive ester profile. Good choice for most English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 72-80%
Flocculation: High

Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Can anyone comment on Wyeast's 1010 vs White Labs WLP 320?
Another strain that isn't banana-like?
Most wheat beers will become a honey wheat, though I'm trying a cherry wheat for SWMBO soon.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
rodwha
Recipes 

I'm considering a Belgian yeast as well, but I know I don't like the bubblegum taste.
I liked Rince Cochon blonde, and Blue Moon is OK, as well as some sort of golden strong ale.
If I wanted one Belgian yeast strain for a wit, blonde, strong ale, dubbed/trippel what would I want to consider if I don't like the bubblegum taste?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
rodwha
Recipes 

Here are the strains I'm mostly considering, though I'm still open to recommendations. What I'm looking for is a 63-66* fermentation with high flocculation in all except the wheat of course.

I want an American high attenuation yeast for beers such as IPA's, IIPA's, barleywine, pales, etc. For this I am leaning towards going back with WLP 001, but am still considering US-05, WLP 090, and 1056.

For other American beers such as blondes, ambers, pales w/ lower IBU's, browns, porters, stouts, etc. I'm leaning towards 1332 and considering WLP 051.

For American wheats I'm leaning towards 1010 to try something different, especially since it has higher attenuation.

And for British styled beers I am not so certain. If I were to need to make a decision I'd probably choose WLP 005, but I'm considering WLP 002, WLP 006, US-04, 1099, 1318, and 1335. I'd mostly want this for ESB's, but I'd try pales, browns, barleywine, IPA's, porters, stouts, Irish red, and Scotish if I can.

And I think I'll leave the Belgian strains alone.

Quick Reply