New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > House yeast strains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
El_Exorcisto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My house strain is a wild strain I collected from some local honey. It's really unique, something literally no one else is playing with. It doesn't floc well, but the flavor is good, and it attenuates to 75-80% reliably.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
WrathsU
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
WrathsU, the differences in yeast strains are amazing. For an easy experiment, split a batch in two and ferment with an American and English and prepare to be blown away. It really helps you realize that making wort is easy and the yeast do all the work.

r flagg, you're exactly right. I just try to be as clean as possible, but when I have the slightest bit of insecurity about my yeast culture, I dump it and start with a fresh pitch. Usually I develop my insecurity before the beer shows any signs of problems.
I'm going to have to try this experiment out sometime. I think I'll try washing and cultivating an american ale strain after my next batch.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathsU View Post
I'm going to have to try this experiment out sometime. I think I'll try washing and cultivating an american ale strain after my next batch.
Yeah the first time I did this was with a pale ale. I split it into three 2gal batches and pitched with 1056, 1272, and 1968. These were great strains to compare because 1968 is way out in left field due to high flocculation, low attenuation, slightly sweeter finish, and crazy maltiness. The two American strains were fun to compare because you could still tell a difference but it was more subtle. I learned a lot from this.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
r_flagg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Holy crap ReverseApacheMaster I didn't extrapolate it out that far but you're right. That would call for a bigger fridge, but the savings per vial/smack-pack would be worth a new fridge alone! Thank you!

Quick Reply