Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Honey in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Araknaphob1c
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Honey in secondary

I'm going to be brewing a blonde ale here in the near future and I wanted to add honey into the secondary so that I could get a sweet finish and not have a high alcohol volume. Is there any particular way I should go about doing this; maybe boiling it in water before adding it in? How much should I add? Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Devil Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you do a search there are many, many threads on this. But what you'll find is that honey will not add sweetness, because its a simple sugar. The yeast will ferment it out and actually give you a drier beer. I suppose if you're adding it in a keg and immediately chilling, it would work. But otherwise the best option for honey flavor is using honey malt which is a unique crystal malt which really does provide a honey flavor.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 10-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Araknaphob1c
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
If you do a search there are many, many threads on this. But what you'll find is that honey will not add sweetness, because its a simple sugar. The yeast will ferment it out and actually give you a drier beer. I suppose if you're adding it in a keg and immediately chilling, it would work. But otherwise the best option for honey flavor is using honey malt which is a unique crystal malt which really does provide a honey flavor.
Thanks for the help.

Happy Devil Brewing

Quick Reply