Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > holy sulfur bomb batman! (wheat yeast ferment)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #11
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I just bottled my "sulfur bomb" on Wednesday night. Smelled/tasted okay. still a hint of sulfur, but NOTHING like when it was actively fermenting. We'll see in a couple of weeks when it is done carbing/conditioning. I'll post another update when I start cracking bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
sabatin2
Recipes 

I just brewed a Blue Moon clone and I am too getting a slight sulfer smell at day 3 of fermentation. Interested how this turns out for you.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Stimulus
Recipes 

How'd this turn out? I have a 3068 that put off more sulfur than any beer I've ever had. I'm thinking it has to be the lower temp, since I've brewed this many many times at 65-68 and now have it at about 62.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
marcycaulkins
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

well, I guess I'm not looking forward to the next week or so in my house after I brew my hefeweizen tonight, and leave it fermenting at 64.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
Stimulus
Recipes 

Yeah it was pretty bad there for about a day or two. What's worse is that in the winter I bring my fermentations inside (temp controlled firms in the summer in the garage) and I had this beer in the closet with all my wife's coats, all 78493564956 of them. She was pissed.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

UPDATE: So, this beer turned out great. There is still a slight tinge of sulphur in the finished product, but I seem to be the only one who notices. I think it ads a slight tart/sour taste that is vaguely reminiscent of Guinness. Nice hop flavor and roasted grain coming through.

Interesting enough, this was a split batch that I fermented the other half with a Belgian yeast. I don't like that one nearly as much. kind of a dull flavor without the nice hop aroma or roasted grain flavor. maybe just too much going on and all of the aromas/flavors are muddled.

I will DEFINITELY repeat this batch using the same wheat yeast to ferment a stout.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Stimulus
Recipes 

That must mean its a general symptom of yeast stress, because my ferm temp was well below the recommended range. Lesson learned.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

handy thread to have found. huzzah for the interwebs. have a wheat in the chamber right now that smells very much of hard boiled eggs. wasn't worried about it, but wanted to know just why i was getting this smell (first time it's happened). my fridge is acting a bit wonky and it's ended up fermenting around 62 degrees, cooler than i would have liked. i'll end up filling in details in a few weeks with an update for future egg-smelling brews.

Quick Reply